Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain Gone Numbness Continues

Hello everyone!  I've been devouring  spine-health for days now  and like everyone here I too have been plagued by sciatica.

My pain started at the beginning of September on my right side with the typical symptoms of pain in the right butt cheek radiating down my leg to my foot.  The pain was manageable and I just took it slow iced the pain and took some Advil.  The pain wasn't getting any better but it wasn't getting any worse.  I traveled out of town for the weekend and ended coming back home with a cold.  Last Wednesday I was up hobbling around and I coughed and immediately felt a pop in my back and instant numbness in my right leg below the knee and into my heel and my 4 toes and outside foot... Typical symptoms.  The pain was so bad I passed out and the paramedics came and saved me and took me to the ER.  In the ER they gave me x-rays and an MRI  and the results came back herniated disc L5S1 with some degeneration.  They sent me home with Naproxen and Flexiril and told me to rest and it would get better. Well, here we are less than a week later and my pain is gone but my leg and foot are still numb which has me concerned.  I have an appoint with my GP next week but I'm wondering if I'm over reacting and should just chill out!

Has anyone else experienced this numbness with no pain? Did the numbness ever go away?  Kind of has me scared and a bit anxious!

Thank you for any insight.
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 09/12/2016 - 9:57 PM

Todd

Numbness like you are experiencing is quite common with spinal problems... your spinal nerve roots are getting crushed in some way... most likely by your herniation... and the result is both pain and numbness.   Until the problem in your spine is corrected you will likely continue to have the numbness.  The pain killers are masking the pain so you probably still also have nerve pain... and just don't know it.  Gone untreated the numbness can turn into permanent nerve damage that surgery cannot correct.  I waited too long on my second fusion surgery and I now have 24/7 numbness accross the bottom surface of my right foot that I must live with for the rest of my life.   According to my doctor it's due to permanent nerve damage... and there is nothing that can be done about.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • wajihwwajih torontoPosts: 27
    Hi Oddbot
    I am assuming that you are still on the medication and that is why you are not feeling the pain. If you are not on the prescribed pills and still pain free then you are one of the luckiest people on the planet that you have no pain even though the numbness is suggestive of nerve compression/irritation. Its too early to say anything at this point. It is not highly unlikely for the numbness to away on its own. But again hang in there and be observant and do not physically do any thing which involves putting pressure on your back such as lifting, twisting, bending. I wish and hope that you are one of those who recover in days.
  • advertisement
  • oddbotooddbot Los AngelesPosts: 5
    Thank you so much Harry for your reply.  I guess I should have mentioned in my first post that I was prescribed pain meds and muscle relaxers but I haven't taken any at this point.
    Hi Wajih thank you for your reply!  

I was perscribed pain meds and muscle relaxers but I haven't taken any of those meds at this point.  I do hope the numbness goes away... I have noticed a tightening in my cafe muscle almost feels like it's swollen but I'm not sure if that's related to sciatica.
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Todd

Hmmmmm... that's odd. 

Usually nerve pain and numbness usually go together like beanut butter and jelly.  I guess as 'wajih' said above you are one lucky dude.  It's best you take this up with your GP next week... even if you are somewhat better by then.  Spine problems are nothing to take lightly... but also at this point I don't think there is any reason to panic.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
    Morning Harry, yes I do agree it is a bit odd, that's why it has me a bit concerned.  And of course the fear that my life will never be the same. But thank you for making me feel a bit better and less panicky.  One day at a time I suppose is all you can do.
    Great to hear that at least we have one person on the forum who is pain free. Don't worry too much about tingling other than keeping your doctor up to date about the symptoms and if there is any change. Calf cramping is common with L5/S1. usually cramping/tingling would improve over time if there is no permanent damage. My suggestion is just take it one day at a time and don't think too much about your life being changed. It is possible that you get back to where you were before this but from now on you should always be careful with your back and know that there are limitations. Its always better to be careful than aggravating the existing injury.
  • Don't freak out about anything. It's only been like two weeks, right? Don't sweat it. These things take time. I'm in my tenth month.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello oddbot!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

Hi virginiaPlain. I am in my tenth month too. I think we should have a Herniated birthday party soon:)
advertisement