Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Share your experience. I'm new. Going to NS soon

Hi, thanks for anyone's experience. It will be my first visit to a NS due to my recent cervical MRI which was ordered due to my hyperreflexia, shoulder and lumbar issues (facet hypertrophy and DDD at several levels in lumbar). Cervical is stenosis from C4-C7 (severe at C4C5 due to central disc  herniation and joint osteophyte), it's right neural foraminal stenosis and central canal stenosis. C5C6 is broad based herniation and spurs, C6C7 is mild osteophytic ridging and mild joint spur with diffusely bulging disc, C3C4 has mild diffuse disc bulge and joint encroachment on the right neural foramen.
Im 47, not over weight, no smoking and I force myself to walk, do some yoga and weights. I've done many lumbar injections and meds. An ortho said I had arthritis in my neck but these cervical findings seem to sound a bit more severe but I'm new to this. I have radiating right shoulder, arm and hand pain, off and on neck pain/spasms, tightness and hyperreflexia. If anyone would share how they traveled a similar path I'd appreciate your story. I guess I'm mostly concerned about progression as it seems to be coming slowly. I will be seeing NS Thursday. Thank You
advertisement

Comments

• maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 322
    edited 09/13/2016 - 10:05 AM
    I recently found out that I have some similar issues, although all cervical. I am only 38 and have herniations at C5/C6, degenerative disc disease, arthritis to name a few. Pre-existing but aggravated by being rear ended in July. My pain is from the base of my skull, down into my upper back, across my shoulder blades, and down into my upper arms with severe muscle spasms as well. My PCP recommended physical therapy and pain management doctor. So far I am on week 3 of PT which has been very painful so we are taking it slow. The pain management dr recommended a steroid injection but I have to wait up to 10 days for insurance approval so that will not be happening anytime soon. I will also be seeing a Neurosurgeon next week for a second opinion and further treatment advice as I am in severe pain constantly even with pain meds and muscle relaxers. This is all pretty new to me too. Have they suggested physical therapy as an option for you?
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    rrobbyynn518

Welcome to the Spine-Health forums.

You might want to read Bruce
    - My Story
    , we have similar symptoms.

Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started Welcome to Spine-Health

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Unfortunately PT for me is a joke.  Kinda like taking a fly swatter to a 747 and expecting to knock it down.  Every modality of PT has been a failure on my co-lateral pain.

Regards,

Bones 
  • Lyrica was a nightmare to me, too. 
    I am in pain management; just had 6 bi lateral lumbar facet injections. I'm scheduled to do cervical epi catheter but I see NS first so not positive. I take .5mg of suboxone currently so minor pains are masked but I get break thru pain. I used Vicodin then heroin briefly which solved all pain but gave me a new set of probs so I don't recommend that. I can go off the suboxone but I'm not sure how I'll cope with pain. Sounds like my neck is messed up but the lumbar and hip or SI really bog me down. 
  • advertisement
  • I haven't done PT for my neck but I will if they tell me to do so. I am strong, I can walk for 40 mins, lift light weights and I stretch.
advertisement