Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Neck Pain following rear ending

I was rear ended on 8/2/16.  My car was nearly totaled.  I had X-rays done the following day and was sent home with muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories.  Nothing showed up on the X-rays.  I began to see my chiropractor 2 times per week since then.  I get relief for a day or so and then the pain and stiffness is back.  I've had a few massages to work on the muscles but still no relief.  Today I went back to my MD for a follow-up and told him I'm still not getting better.  He sent me back for another x-ray.  Should get results later this week.  He said sometimes a fracture will not show up immediately. I'm really frustrated with no progress.  I can't sleep well at night either.  Any suggestions?

advertisement

Comments

• maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 322
    Maybe an MRI? Whip lash can cause other issues that may not show up on an x-ray. Did your doctor have any other suggestions or did they want to wait for the x-ray?
  • Hello, MsPiccolo!

While a fracture may not show up right away on X-rays, soft tissue injuries/possible vertebral disc issues are usually much better captured through MRI imaging.  Could you ask your doctor about getting an MRI?  

I can understand  how frustrating it is to have no definitive answer as to why you're in pain!! Have you been prescribed any medications?  If not, perhaps it is time to also talk with your doctor about how the pain is interfering with your sleep--not getting enough good/restorative sleep can become a barrier to healing if it goes on long enough!!  You'll find that sleep deprivation is a common theme across these forums.  I ran the gamut of natural and over-the-counter remedies for insomnia, and found that I had some success (not great, but at least a little!!) with the 12-hour night-time Aleve.  As always, please discuss the addition of any new medications--both natural or OTC--with your healthcare provider to avoid any and all possible complications.

I'd like to welcome you to Spine-Health!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

Welcome to Spine-Health

Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • MsPiccoloMMsPiccolo CaliforniaPosts: 3

Kimmy72 said:

Hello, MsPiccolo!

While a fracture may not show up right away on X-rays, soft tissue injuries/possible vertebral disc issues are usually much better captured through MRI imaging.  Could you ask your doctor about getting an MRI?  

I can understand  how frustrating it is to have no definitive answer as to why you're in pain!! Have you been prescribed any medications?  If not, perhaps it is time to also talk with your doctor about how the pain is interfering with your sleep--not getting enough good/restorative sleep can become a barrier to healing if it goes on long enough!!  You'll find that sleep deprivation is a common theme across these forums.  I ran the gamut of natural and over-the-counter remedies for insomnia, and found that I had some success (not great, but at least a little!!) with the 12-hour night-time Aleve.  As always, please discuss the addition of any new medications--both natural or OTC--with your healthcare provider to avoid any and all possible complications.

I'd like to welcome you to Spine-Health!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    I did talk to him about my sleep issues.  I'm already on a sleeping pill which is probably the only reason I'm getting some sleep.  I will pursue the MRI.  Thank You!

• MsPiccoloMMsPiccolo CaliforniaPosts: 3

maehaley said:

Maybe an MRI? Whip lash can cause other issues that may not show up on an x-ray. Did your doctor have any other suggestions or did they want to wait for the x-ray?

The doctor wanted this 2nd X-ray to see if something new shows up.  He also said depending on those results, maybe PT.  I told him I'd probably still like and MRI.  He suggested we wait until the X-ray results come back.

• susieq47ssusieq47 Omaha nePosts: 1
    I too was rear ended 2/16/16 and finally found doctor to listen to me 
      Had already been to p.t. for 3 months
    Now 7 months later and after being wheeled out of work, I had fusion to C5''C7.  My throat and right side of shoulder hurts, but it'd be side they worked on

They review me in 3 weeks then maybe I can work but will be limited to 3 weeks.
    I'm scared for in ltitle pain and might have to do more fusion in back.
    My advice is go by your gut and find someone to listen to you so you can get relief.   Whiplash can be done to back and neck.  My seat was broken in 2 places
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello susieq47 !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement