Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Got "The Talk" At Last Appointment

Hey Everyone!

I've had pretty much nothing but complications from a variety of contributors since my fusion surgery...from scar tissue, to intolerance to physical therapy, to now possibly being allergic to every single metal in my spine...it's been an adventure, and not one on which I had EVER envisioned myself going.

At my last appointment (to discuss the possibility of the metal allergies/set up testing) with the surgeon's PA, I was told I "we" (got a mouse in your pocket, Doc? :D ) need to "think about weaning off the meds".  This was after I filled out the update form about the fact that I'm experiencing a recurrence of the issues I had with the scar tissue (terrible spasms, pain down both legs, saddle anesthesia, etc.).  Ummmm...HELLO MCFLY...there's still a problem in Houston! 

I have weaned off the Percocet (not too bad) and Valium (bad) already, and I am paying for it.  Nightly.  I need to save whatever I have left for class nights, as I usually look like an upside-down "L" when I get out of the car upon getting home.  Last night, I had a severe charley horse from my mid back all the way down my left leg that kept me up most of the night.  It feels like I have a huge, painful weight in the center of my back which usually radiates down both legs, which I suppose I should be grateful it wasn't both last night!  I gritted my way through it, thinking that if I'm going to be "cut off", preservation of what I have is the best way to go.  I'm still on the OxyContin ER twice a day, so depending on how things go with this whole "we need to wean you off meds" issue, this will be the only prescription for which I'll be asking for a refill.  I don't have a whole lot of hope that they'll agree to it.   

My husband always calls me his "tough cookie", but these last week or so of not being able to relieve the nightly spasms doesn't make me feel so tough!!  I'm tired on top of being systemically sick from the lack of sleep.  I'm now being tested for autoimmune disorders--first one the doc mentioned was Lupus, and will be getting a thyroid ultrasound next week because it is pretty swollen on the right side.  ALL of these disorders could be traced back to metal allergies!!  The research is astounding on the subject, really. 

I'm just at a loss.  Thanks everyone, for always being so kind, and for being the kind of community that I'm very proud and grateful to be a part of...

Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Oh man Kimmy.  I wish I could make this better for you, but since I can't I will just beam some good wishes to you for a better night sleep.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thank you, Bruce.  Wait...just saw a beautiful beam of "wishing-light" flash by my window...was that from you?  ;)
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    You bet it was!

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Well dang Kimmy

You wants i should goes over there and talks to the guy?

Is it temporary to baseline you or a "final solution"?

Hang in there!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Nope,  no talk of baselining whatsoever.   It was out of nowhere.   Atmy appt prior to this llast one,  my surgeon himself assured me he would continue to provide refills (that's when I was starting PT) should I need them.   
    Ya gonna go down there and give 'em a good talking to,  Poet?   I sure won't stand in your way!    :)
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • advertisement
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,789
    Kimmy!? - Did they provide any medically sound reason for their decision to change your medication regimen??  If not maybe you should demand a reason and have it documented so you can dispute the action formally.....?
    Welcome to insomniac theater !!

Bones
  • No...I don't have a clue why this has happened!  The timing couldn't be worse!  I'm going to have a look at the appointment notes via theppatient portal tomorrow to see if this plan was specifically mentioned. If so,  I'm going to get on the phone and TRY to find out why there has been such an abrupt change in my treatment plan.
    Late night TV still stinks...at least THAT is consistent!  :D
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Kimmy, Kimmy, Kimmy,
    Terrible news! Sending you a big, fat internet HUG! I will go with William with my "NY" attitude and give the doc "what for!" 
    Ellen 
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,230
    Kimmy, not good at all.  Especially considering what you are currently going through.

One thing if you exhibited good condition, pain level's diminishing and somewhat under control.  Even then, I would expect a doctor who wants to 'wean' you would just reduce the dosage or frequency of your medication.

But you are not there yet!
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ellen--I know...isn't William great?  Hahaha...you did make me giggle with the NY attitude comment.  Thank you for that AND the hug!

Ron:  This situation is one of the things I find so disturbing about the current climate that encourages "patient profiling" regarding the use of opioids/narcotics.  Seeing the patient through the veil of the medications they take rather than a "do no harm", individualized case management approach is WRONG.  Throughout my process of doing research, I came across a doctor's website who was asking for patients to tell their stories of being prematurely deprived of their pain medications.  The stories were plentiful, and heartbreaking.  These are the stories behind "the opioid/narcotic veil"-- the narratives of men and women who are in very dark places physically and mentally, and are considering very scary, and very final options.  In no way am I comparing myself to them, but just wanted to illustrate how chronic pain patient's lives are being affected en masse by blanket guidelines (remember guidelines--NOT law!!).  It isn't just about the doctors, though.  Pharmacies are also profiling patients, as well.  While it is never a "good" thing to be a chronic pain sufferer, this is arguably the worst time in history to have a condition which, in order to live a half-productive life (some would even be happy with 1/8-1/4!!), rely on medications to do just that. 

Since no mention was made of this decision to wean me from my medications in my chart (yep, checked that out this morning), I'm going to go ahead and ask for all my refills like I've done every other month since the surgeries.  I'm still going ahead with my plan of saving my medications just in case.  We shall see how the worm turns.  In the meantime, I'll be watching crappy late-night television and doing everything I can to get through these long nights! 
    Firm believer in PMA!
advertisement