Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Getting ready for surgery - Lets go over a few things

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,425
edited 02/11/2019 - 8:20 AM in New Member Introductions
For many spinal patients it becomes inevitable that some form of spinal surgery is going to be needed to alleviate the problem you have and hopefully reduce your pain levels.
Most spinal surgeries accomplish this.  There are times, when surgery, for whatever reason may partially fix your problem, but leave you in the same amount of pain.

In those cases, many would ask  Then why surgery?    Here is where we need to be some trust and confidence in our surgeon.   They have reviewed all your diagnostic tests, performed clinical examinations, etc and feel that surgery is the only answer

There a number of things you need to think about Before, During and After spinal surgery

Before

To me, this is a critical timeframe while you are waiting for surgery.   The articles below provide some medical detailed insight into this topic,
but since I've gone through so many surgeries, I have learned something along the way.

The initial phase is when your surgeon tells you that surgery is mandatory.  Once you out of this initial shock phase, you start to talk this over with
your family.  While you are the patient, your spouse, or SO will become your caretaker, then need to know as much.   I strongly suggest you bring  someone with
you when you have your pre-surgical meeting.   Here are some additional items that I always took care and I believe are really necessary   The number one action you 
need to take care long before your actual surgical date.

Verify who will be with you when you get home?
Move furniture around so that you will have easy access to the TV and phone
*** Discussion with your pain management doctor and surgeon about your pain medications.  Normally, your pain management doctor will 
be writing your medication scripts.  Once you go into the hospital, that stops and your surgeon picks up the responsibility for your pain management.

Here is where it is very important....  Some surgeons will provide you with opioids upon your release from the hospital, but that dosage can be
for ony 5 days, 10 days, 15 days or perhaps 30 days.   You need to be setup with your pain management doctor, that as soon as your surgeon
discharges you from both hospital and provides with xx days of medication, that after that xx days, you will be able to go back
to your pain management  doctor for refills.   The last thing you want is to be discharged from the hospital and a week later you are out of all medications and no one is prepared to order them for you.

40 Questions to ask your surgeon before spinal surgery

Emotional preparation for surgery

Assertivness skills preparing for spinal surgery

Cognitive techniques preparing for spinal surgery

Relaxation exercises before spinal surgery

The importance of psychological preparation for surgery

Outpatient surgery considerations

To do list before and after surgery

During

This is probably the easiest of all phase.  Today. so many hospitals manager pain levels by the use of a PCA ( Patient Controlled Analgesia )   This will allow the patient to delviery their own pain medications, based on a predetermined amount.

After
Health habits after spinal surgery

Getting adequate pain control after spinal surgery

Rehabilitation after spinal surgery

Treatment options for pain after spinal surgery

56 Things to do while recovering from spinal surgery

Must haves after spinal surgery

Post Op Must Haves

I like to include my own tread when it comes to recovery.  Recovery the most important phase.
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.