Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

question

i had my surgery in may and the past month after going to a park at the end of augest my pain has come back i saw my surgon tuesday and orders i go to phyical therephy i was talking with my sister and she noticed that i havent been doing much physicallyand i try to start walking now and i went for a block yesterday and was sore after ,my walk could my lack of activity be making my back stiff and my legs weak? if so what can i do to combat it
advertisement

Comments

• aso i dont know if anyone else does this and i dont want to make another post about it but when i sit upright i put pillows behind me not to lean on but it just have a gentle pressure on my back it feels good to have that against my back i do it at bedtime too
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 09/15/2016 - 7:36 PM

Rachel

Walking exercise is VERY important and critical to having a successful back surgery.  If you have not been walking daily since your surgery you should start now.  The fact that you are sore after walking around the block is not surprising... it's likely your muscles complaining since they haven't worked in such a long time.  Also the fact that you feel better with a back support when sitting says your back muscles are still weak... and need to be built up.  Go walk around the block again... and do it EVERY day.  This will help strengthen your back muscles...

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • thank you  harry i did attempt   going 3-4 blocks and when i got home i felt it in my legs when i saw my doctor he said i needed pt to make my legs stronger i though  id be 100% healed by now and id be good to go but the healing process must take awhile
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Rachel

What kind of back surgery did you have..???

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    the PT should help, but the walking will help you alot, just keep it up!
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,525
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Harry i had a lumbar lami for a herniated disc that was  REALLY bad it would have parslyzed me if i didnt have surgery 
  • AMWoodyAMWoody SurreyPosts: 107
    I too am surprised at how long the healing process is.... I have pain most days and PT hurts so I walk and swim.... My nights are very difficult especially turining over..
advertisement