Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Had fusion surgery new herniations whats next?

cdfcaptccdfcapt San Jacinto, CAPosts: 1
Hey All,
New to this site and have a question.  I herniated L4-5 in 2010 and had a discectomy which gave me very good relief and was able to return to full duty (I was a Fire Captain)  I then re-herniated in 2012 and caused "Drop foot" to my left foot.  I had emergency surgery because of the deficit in my leg.  I had a posterior fusion at L3-4 and L4-5.  2 weeks after this surgery the doctor decided to "flip" me over and do additional fusion from the anterior.  Actually that was his plan to begin with both anterior and posterior fusion but at different times.  I am not clear why he decided to do them as separate procedures.  It is now 2016 and I am having severe pain in my other leg that has me using a walker at times because unable to stand on my right leg do to the pain.  Latest MRI shows new herniations above and below the previous ones.  I see the surgeon again on Tuesday.  Curious if anyone is aware if you can have another discectomy after a fusion or once you have a fusion all subsequent surgeries need to be fusions?  My concern is where does it stop from fusion to fusion?
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 09/15/2016 - 7:08 PM

Jeff

What you are experiencing is a known issue with fusion surgery.  Once your surgeon fuses one or more levels in your spine the adjacent levels above and below the fusion tend to be more susceptible to herniation.  This is due to the fact that the stresses in your spine that the fused disc sections previously cushioned or absorbed are now only cushioned by the disc sections above and below the fused section... which is something they weren't designed to do.  That is... you now have a large section of your back that is a solid bone instead of a spring. Your doctor can preform a discectomy on the newly herniated discs... but unless you make some lifestyle changes you will likely reherniate those same discs again.  If you want to get out of this cycle you MUST make some lifestyle changes that ensure you stop stressing your back.  Your doctor probably didn't coach you on this but once you've had fusion surgery you MUST be "kind to your back" for the rest of life.   You may feel fine after your surgery recovery but the structure of your back is now PERMANENTLY changed from the surgery and the ability of your back to tolerate the stresses that it once did is no longer there.  So lifting those heavy fire hoses on to your shoulder... or sliding down the firehouse pole twenty feet and slamming down on the  floor are not things your back can now tolerate without further damage.   Lifestyle change is VERY key... THE key in fact... to long term success with back problems.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,778
    Well Stated!!  Bravo!

Bones
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello cdfcapt !
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History