Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Acdf

I had ACDF surgery on September 6. I am 9 days post op, with cadavier and fusion on C5 through C7. I have been recovering as expected.  My concern is the throat pain. I had severe pain swallowing, eating, and talking right after surgery,  my neurosurgeon prescribed a steroid dose pack immediately after surgery. I finished all of those and my throat pain all that went away. But yesterday my throat pain came back severely. The pain is almost worse than before. I was wondering if this is normal or if anyone else has experience this.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there im 6 weeks post op the pain takes a good 2 till 3 weeks to subside but now and again it can feel abit sore but not bad luckily you got some steroids to help out i just got a course of paracetamol to help and told to do neck exercises without a neck brace as here in ireland they say to just get up and get on with it as it helps with a speedy recovery but hope all goes well and good luck recovering
  • sherryevssherryev Tennessee Posts: 6
    Thank you for the response.  I am trying my best to be patient. Good days and bad days are expected I guess. Hanging in there. 
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,515
    sherry, patience
    read  recovery, the most important phase
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
    Thank you Ron. I read what you posted for post operation. It's helpful to be able to receive the knowledge of others on this site. 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Sherry

Hopefully your throat is beginning to feel a little better.  I can tell you that it was almost 2 months before I felt like I could eat or take pills without a glass of water handy to wash it down. 

It is normal for the throat to hurt a little - but if it is excessive or you have serious problems swallowing, then be sure to contact your surgeon's office.

Good luck, please let us know when it is better.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
    edited 09/22/2016 - 7:09 AM
    Does anyone know or have used the electronic bone growth stimulator. I just received one I haven't started using it yet. I was doing research on it and some people are saying it causes You to be in a lot more pain. If anyone knows anything about this please let me know.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 606
    I had to use the bone growth stimulator. I wore it for 4 hours everyday. 
    It would give me horrible headaches? My doctor said he never had a patient say that it gave them headaches. 
    I'm not exactly sure how long I wore it? Maybe a couple months? 
    My doctor ordered it because I wasn't fusing from my first ACDF. I ended up having to go through another surgery, to add more hardware. 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Sherry

I also wore a BGS for 4 hours a day for 3 months.  I did not have more pain from using it.  I did get sick and tired of wearing it, but most important to me was giving my fusion every chance of success.  It fused!

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

Thanks for the information on the bone growth stimulator. You are right in need to give myself every opportunity for a successful fusion.  I need to commit to the device. 
advertisement