Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please help translate What is my NS saying?

momo-kmmomo-k Posts: 131
edited 09/15/2016 - 2:45 PM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hello  Forum,
It's momo-k AGAIN...

I understand what my NS said, but I guess I am thinking too hard or analyzing it too much.

He said, "A surgery is a necessity , but not urgent". 

I understand that decision to have a surgery is entirely up to me, but what does he mean exactly? So... its ok to wait 6-months, 1-year, 10-years?  I don't know how to process this statement. Would someone help me understand his statement for me, please? 

Thank you.

P.S. Need of Corpetomy c6 and Anterior Cervical Fusion c5-c6. 
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168
    Really, the only correct answer you will get is directly from the doctor.   I would be confused also.. Stating that you have to have surgery, no question, but doesnt have to happen now.   Ok, then When?

Personally, when its cervical related and IF any nerves are involved, I would think sooner vs later.   But again, the surgeon must have their reasons for making that statement.   Anything else you get from members here will be a guess or opinion, just as mine is.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Right, dilauro. I agree that it's going to be a guess.
    Thanks anyways for confirming at least that you would be confused as well. 
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    I will chime in -  also confused!

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thanks, Bruce for confirming that I am not the only one who is confused with the doctor's statement. 
  • I got a clarification from my NS on "A surgery is necessity but not urgent". He means that he recommends a surgery for a cord compression that is symptomatic within 3-months. He also told me that as far as pain goes, he can't say that they are related to cervical spine conditions; but weakness and problems with walking will get worse over time since it is a degenerative disease. 

I feel better as far as getting the clarification on what he meant exactly. 
  • advertisement
    Thanks for the update, that sure is more clear than the original.

Bruce

It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• momo-kmmomo-k Posts: 131
    edited 09/22/2016 - 4:33 PM
    Bruce, I wanted to tell you especially after reading your story;  that you are my hero, like Batman?  :)
    Momo-k

I'm no hero, just a success story.  But thank you very much.

Bruce

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,406
    So when i saw my surgeon he said i needed extensive surgery. My fist question was if i dont? His answer "i will follow you every three months until you change your mind" lol. I then asked him "okay and prognosis if i do that?" And he said 5 years to wheelchair at the most.  He set the next appointment for 2 weeks later and told me to think it over. In that 2 wreks i went from a sore leg to a numb leg to having a fall on the stairs...so i dont think i would last 5 years. I did opt for surgery. And he is trying to get me in before christmas....i am glad it is in the works because every day is a little bit worse...so necessary but not immediate has turned out to be necessary and soon. Lol
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,168
    WLLady,
    Since this was a discussion thread started by momo-k about degenerative disc disease, I am not sure what your surgery is about.  Do I assume since you added it to momo-k's discussion, you are also talking about surgery to help with your DDD.   I just wasnt sure since your comment sort of plopped into the said discussion.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
advertisement