Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Need surgery on my back but have no money or insurance and live in Texas

I am a 55 year old respiratory therapist, I had surgery on my back in 2010 and after 4 months went back to work as a respiratory therapist. The job I had for 12 years ended in May 2015, and I went to work temporarily as a boat mechanic as I had mechanic experience in the past. In April of 2016 I got a new job up in Houston Texas doing respiratory again but my back had been sore since November 2015 from working on boats. After about 3 days on the new job I had to quit because I could barely walk or even stand up I went back to the neurosurgeon who worked on my back in 2010, paying full price for the office visit, and told me I had problems in the same area the problems are extreme pain I have to stand hunched over pain down my left leg along with numbers numbness tingling and a cold feeling. Unfortunately I have no insurance and since I had to quit my new job almost 5 months ago I now have no money and have no idea how I can get fixed so I can get back to work. The hospital in Houston where I had gotten the job said they would hold a position for me but only for so long. What can I do? I used the last money I had in my bank account to pay bills last month and now we are relying on my son's part-time job income to pay the bills but that isn't going to work I am desperate I have no idea how I can get fixed so I can get back to work and become a productive citizen.

• Hello, Ddaymen1!

Your situation is all-too common, unfortunately.  One thing I can recommend is that you seek out a patient advocacy center.  You may be able to get financial assistance with the medical help you so obviously need!!!  Additionally, have you considered filing for temporary disability?  I know that can sometimes be a tough nut to swallow as you see yourself as the "provider" for your family!!  There's absolutely nothing wrong with accepting help if it can bridge the gap between getting treatment for your pain and getting you back to being a "productive citizen"!!!

I'd like to welcome you to Spine-Health!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!!

Welcome to Spine-Health

Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Have you tried applying for obamacare? My son has very little income and qualified for free healthcare. Also search out nonprofits or your local social services office to see what is available. As Kimmy suggested, you may be able to find a patient advocate. Try your local hospital.
  • advertisement
  • Check with the hospital district
    They have programs to help folks who need medical care. Look into the
    Local clinics and the main one on Morgan.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• ddaymen1dddaymen1 Corpus Christi TexasPosts: 8
    I have called all over the place and I always get the same answer that I have to have been out of work for a year and basically homeless
    The people at healthcare.gov say if I'm not working or have any incom then I fall below the poverty guidelines and should be able to get help to the county. Here in Nueces County they say I have to have been out of work for a year and pretty much a street person to get any kind of assistance from them. I checked with the Spohn Hospital System they say I have to go to the county first and their guidelines are stricter than the County's it's all a load of crap! Spent all my adult life working the last 12 I was in healthcare you think I could get something done
  • advertisement
    Do you know what the clinic on Morgan Street is called?
    I have applied for Social Security disability and have already been denied twice. From what I understand that usually takes way over a year to finally get a concrete answer my goal is to get fixed so I can get back to work the hospital I was working out will only hold my position for so long. Don't mean to sound like such a downer, but so far all I have hit is dead ends and I can't believe there's nothing that I can do
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello dday......
    We members are not permitted to write names of doctors or facilities.

re your comment on Disability....I used a Disability attorney.
    He only gets pain if you win and that payment comes out of retro active pay owed to you, so nothing out of pocket.
    I find that to be win-win.

My Disability was approved within six months, so nothing retroactive to be paid to me, so no payment to my attorney from me.
    But I was happily shocked and amazed to be accepted within six months time!

I was told the Disability will be reviewed within such a period of time to see if I still need it.
    To my knowledge, I have not been reviewed unless if they check out my medical records.

In your situation where you say you look forward to working again, you just keep Disability people in the know and they adjust to your circumstances.

Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

I am currently going through a disability attorney, however my problem is time I don't think I can wait until that kicks in and I need to get fixed so I can get a job.
    Well for the last several days right now I have a pain radiating into my left buttock into the groin area and down the leg constantly with a pins and needles and cold feeling in my lower leg. I'm getting so tired of this I spend all my time trying to get a few hours of sleep here and there