Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Tramadol problems

smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 388
I have a love/hate relationship with tramadol.  I have complications/side effects with everything else I've tried so far, but tramadol works when I need it (37.5mg dose).  I usually only need one or 2 doses to get the pain manageable.   I like that it doesn't knock me out, and I can function relatively well on it.  But if I don't continue with it, I get a nasty headache.  I'm wondering if anyone else has had such an issue, and was it resolved with a lower/higher mg prescription (if available), or more consistent schedule, or any other solutions?  I seem to get headaches when I stop taking any narcotics, but staying on them consistently seems like a ridiculous plan if I don't have high levels of pain consistently!
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi smartens162
    I used tramadol when I had my sciatica. It wasn't super effective for me. I would take it about a half hour before getting up in the morning and then switched to tylenol or ibuprofen during the day. It was maybe a tad stronger than the tylenol. It did nothing for flare ups. Like you, I was glad I could function on it. I  did not have any issues when I stopped taking it. But at that point I had percocet to take for flare ups and only used the tramadol for "special occasions " like doctor visits.
    I guess weaning off of it wouldn't help at this point if you need it to manage your pain.
    Ellen 
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 388
    thanks Ellen, yeah I think I will ask my doctor for yet another script to try something else.  I don't need paid relief every day necessarily.  Which is the problem I have had with morphine and now tramadol - the headaches when I'm not using it!  Tylenol does nothing for me, and I stay away from ibuprofen because I 'burned out' my stomach on it earlier this year.  I take Advil cold & sinus Plus when the headaches are unbearable, so I don't want to take more ibuprofen than I can handle.  Naproxen also horrible for my stomach. It is frustrating that the next step in pain relief seems to be the opiods.  Why can't they come up with something in between?!

• advertisement
    I was prescribed something called vimovo. It is a prescription nsaid but also has something else in it to keep it from affecting your stomach. I had to get it through a specialty pharmacy. I can't say it helped too much with pain in my case so I was given the tramadol but, I  have used it in the past with a cervical issue with some success.
    I think doctors think that tramadol is in between but I disagree.  Its ok but not on the level of opiods as far as pain relief, at least for me.
    I hope you find the right pain reliever.
    Pain sucks!
    Ellen 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,776
    I can't say it enough, have your doctor do a simple test (just swab your mouth) . It's called a personalized gene-drug interaction. The doctors list your current meds and test comes back showing what works and what doesn't. Saves a lot of wasted time trying different meds and money. 
    My doctor did mine a few years ago and we were both shocked.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
    that is interesting to me memerainbolt, I will ask about it! 
  • advertisement
    I asked for a prescription to protect my stomach as I really just wanted to go back to anti-inflammatories again, instead of fighting with opiods and rebound headaches.  I am happy to say that since I started that nearly a week ago, I am 'feeling' much better!  The pain is still there, but not debilitating.  And I'm out of the fog, that is worth alot to me.  I hope I can manage this way for a while, if not indefinitely.  Thanks all for your input!
    Yay! I am so glad.
advertisement