Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Transpedicular fusion T6 to T8

I've searched a bunch on here and couldn't  find any discussion on my upcoming thoracic surgery on 9/30.  I've had 2 lumbar and 2 cervical surgeries previously.  Only fused currently in the neck (anteriorly and posteriorly).  Anyone around have thoracic work in those areas?  How did it go?  I know it's a 5 day hospital stay so not a mickey mouse surgery evidently.

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello ....
    I have never been a candidate for surgery, so I can't speak to that.

I do want to wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery and a smooth recovery!

Even though you have had previous surgeries, I wanted to mention a post titled.....Recovery The Most Important Phase...
    You can find by using search, upper right on page. It may be of helpful to you.

When I used search, I did find pedicular screws for spinal fusion, with referred reading, on the medical side of  SH site.
    Not sure if any of that helpful to you.

Again, good luck to you!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thanks for the tips Savage.   It's all helpful as this is a first for my thoracic region.  Have found a support group on FB specifically related to thoracic spine and mod of site had similar surgery just no hardware.  I'm really anxious to hear how someone is doing with the pedicular fusion in the thoracic area but I do realize how rare thoracic spine surgeries are.  Again, thanks!
  • advertisement
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 236
    I cant speak for everyone, But  my fusion from T- 4 to T- 10 is not the greatest. And not to go into detail, but I have no relief. Same as the pain I started with.  But I was not fixed, just stabilized.  Spent 3 days in the hospital, begged my doctor to let me go home and rest. But their are  a lot of us thoracic spines on spine health. Is it not a rare procedure just avoided if can be.  Its where it is that makes it hard. The surgeon cant get full access around the spine. The ribs are right there, in the way.  Unlike the lumbar where he/she has more room to work. To access both sides of the thoracic spine. They have to do an anterior and posterior . Usually deflate a lung and cut a rib or two. Flip you over and work on the other side.  I only had the posterior.  Going from both sides would not have benefited me.  Dont take it lightly, Do what ever you doctor tells you to do after surgery.  Its a slow healing process.  Good luck. 
    Greg fisher
  • Appreciate the advice Greg.  Main reason for going in is due to a spur compressing my cord.  He is then going to take care of the herniations since he's in there.   Total posterior approach so only cut is on the back.   Went through all the conservative measures and now it's almost 2 years of feeling like a vice is just tightening and tightening.  Legs are extremely week.  Pretty much no life so I'm willing to go for it.  He's told me only 60% of success so I gotta admit he's been upfront.  He's also performed over 100 of these so feel confident.  Good luck in your recovery. 
advertisement