Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

C25K?

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Swimming is awesome. One of my coworkers does it all the time. Today is week 2, day 2 for me. Do you think it matters if I  walk and do the elliptical barefoot? I normally do it before work and since I don't go outside, I don't bother to put anything on my feet. That may change though as the weather gets colder. I might also try starting week 3 on a day other than Saturday. I am already more active that day and the combination leaves me hurting a bit. 

When is your surgery?
    Ellen 
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,494
    Hi Ellen,
    Week 2 day 2 already!  that's great!  that means day 3 should be today??
    I really can't advise on barefoot post-surgery...i know i always did the elliptical barefoot in the past but i haven't had my surgery yet, so i don't know-i used to love running barefoot!....i'd imagine as long as you don't twist an ankle or fall down it wouldn't be any different than wearing shoes would it?  I did actually manage to get my nice warm fuzzy socks on last night (it was all of 40F here last night) LOL  I have one problem with swimming-either i spend too much time in the pool swimming or i have a lousy metabolism because i get COLD...need a really hot shower when I'm done, and then warm slippers or socks, sweater, anything hot to drink...and i can stay cold for hours afterwards!  really frustrating because the pool is 79F...that's not cold!

I hear you about the weekends.  I run a farm with livestock and work full time at another job, so saturday is "catch up on the chores that didn't get done all week".  By noon I am DONE....so I really more "float" in the pool and puddle around than actually "swim" that day. 

They keep telling me december, but i don't have a firm date yet.  Last time i talked with them they had 3 surgeons all confirmed but needed the anaesthesiologist. I did say i would prefer one to be present...LOL....so they're still trying to get someone lined up, but i haven't called for a week or so.  I do have my next 6 facet injections october 24 bright and early in the morning.

Keep it up!!!!! sounds like you are doing great!  and time for me to hit the pool now too.
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• advertisement
    Hi Kathy
    Started week 3 today. Oof! The weather here is starting to change. Not a fan of the cold so warm and fuzzy sounds good!

Where do you swim? During the summer we hang out at our neighbors' house. They have a nice pool, not heated though so closed now. 

I think I will have to start wearing sneaks. The more time I'm on the elliptical,  the more I feel it on the bottom of my feet.

Best of luck on the 24th!
    Ellen
    Thanks!! I'm hoping it gets here fast....it's only 3 weeks away now. 

When we got the diagnosis earlier this summer my husband and i decided to put an endless pool into the front room of our house.  The old farmhouse is way too big for the 2 of us, so its good use of the room.  it's a small pool only 15 x 7 feet, but enough to swim, and it has the current in it, so i can walk or jog in it, etc.  Given how many days a week we are in it, it has been a good investment.  Ours is heated yay!  but we keep it about 77F...otherwise my husband complains it's too warm LOL.  so it's either i complain it's too cold getting in (once i'm in it's okay-so it's 10 minutes of complaining) or he complains it's too warm (all the time...through the workout, and after and randomly at breakfast and stuff LOL).
    He really enjoys swimming....i'm learning to like it.  We are actually still finishing the installation-putting up the cabinet around it and stuff, it's been in official for 1 month now.  we filled it on sept 3.  :-)

Congrats on starting week 3!!!!

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

Wow, nice!  Haha, my husband and I disagree on temperature all the time! Hopefully the 3 weeks will go quickly!
  • advertisement
    Thanks Kimmy. I still have my moments but am determined to improve my overall health! 
    well ellen, you have inspired me to keep going!  thank you!  i really didn't feel like doing much yesterday after work, but i got in the pool and swam for 20 minutes, and felt a whole lot better   :-)
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator

Yay! But do take care of yourself too! I started week 4, it was tough but I was able to make it. Tomorrow is day 2. It's nice that you can swim. I need to find me a pool!
    Ellen 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    4 weeks already, go Ellen!

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

WHOOHOO!!!! you go girl!!!!!
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator

advertisement