Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

ROM Experience

Hi,

New here and my first post.

Have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis and myelopathy and have seen 3 surgeons from three different hospitals in Philadelphia.

Was looking for a surgeon I felt comfortable with.

All three want to do C3 - C7 lam and fusion. None wanted to do a laminoplasty.

I am 70 YO in good health and moderately active.

I have no pain so my neck ROM is pretty good.

I am looking for experiences with post surgical ROM.

Thanks in advance
Arnold

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    hello arnold

please click on the link for useful information

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

arnold

i am fused c4-c7, and have very good rom.  i can turn my head almost as well as my friends, looking up is more of a challenge but not too bad.  i do find myself leaning back when i look way up.

you might want to read bruce
    - my story

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • Thanks Liz.

Thanks Bruce. Sounds like your ROM stayed mostly intact. That's great.  How is your range trying to touch your ear to shoulder?

Arnold

That isn't bad, but not something I do...  First time since surgery, and only because you asked :)

Bruce

It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thanks Bruce, and I didn't even say "Simon Says".

Two more quick questions if you don't mind.

You said you had some limits on looking up. How about looking down.as if putting your chin to your chest.

And lastly, what does the limits feel like.

Is it like a tight muscle feeling or more of a mechanical block.

Oh, I read your story and glad you finally mended.

Arnold

• advertisement
  • Hi! This may sound like a dumb question but if you're not having pain how did you know something was wrong? And why are you having surgery? Is there something they're worried about because the stenosis is severe? Hoping all goes well!
  • Not a dumb question at all. Thanks for the concern.

I had been searching for years as to why I was having gait and balance problems. And numbness in the bottom of my feet and a slight weakening in my right leg plus a few other minor quirks.

Finally saw an insightful neurologist who thought to order an MRI and immediately told me to see a NS for further eval.

All three surgeons said that with the stenosis and myelopathy my symptoms will only get worse. There was already some signal impairment. They said since I was healthy and not coming in with a walker I should consider surgery sooner rather than later.

I even saw an alternative practitioner who specializes in treating back issues to avoid surgery. He said to have it done.

Right now the count is 3 surgeons, an alternative practitioner, my neurologist, my PCP and cardiologist  all recommend surgery. My PCP and cardiologist are integrative MDs so don't have surgery as their first choice.

I have been searching for someone to vote on the other side but have not found anyone.

So it is 7 to 0.

The surgeon I am going with says sooner rather than later but is not pushing me into it. Which I like.

Arnold

You didn't say Simon says, does that mean that I am out?  :)

I can easily touch my chest with my chin.  The limits are mechanical, no pain.

Bruce

• Thanks Bruce.
  • In my humble opinion, if you are having gait and balance problems, which all your doctors are attributing to cervical stenosis, I'm not sure why you are worrying about ROM rather than having surgery. In the scheme of things, I would think that being able to walk would be more important than how far you can turn your neck.

I have multi-level cervical stenosis and I had ROM limitations before and after my one-level surgery, but 9 months out, my ROM isn't any worse than before surgery.  An yeah, I can touch my chin to my neck, and put my neck all the way back (positions commonly done in my yoga classes), but I don't because my physical therapist told me it wasn't healthy for my neck and I'm trying to avoid any further fusions (although if I needed further fusions, I wouldn't hesitate to have them).
    C6-C7 ACDF - January 20, 2016
    Shoulder surgery - August 2, 2016
    Interlaminar laminotomy, mesial facetectomy and foraminotomy bilateral at C5-C6 and unilateral left at C6-C7 and bilateral C6-C7 facet fusion - December 7, 2016

advertisement