Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Surgery or not

MRI showed spinal stenosis and I'm having hard time walking my left leg feels like a ton and my left hip isn't moving smoothly. Pain and lack of mobility so I had to give up my dog and soon my football. 

Should I go for surgery or not? My doc said I've got severe spinal stenosis but it's my decision and need feedback. I'm 33 good shape. 

Posterolateral fusion L3-L4 - 2016

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,434
    There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The decision to have or not have the surgery really is up to you, your family and your doctor.  With cases of severe stenosis (lumbar) you will have a lot of trouble walking and depending how bad the nerves are impacted, you could also experience bladder and bowel control   

As soon as I hear or read the word Severe I almost always look to some aggressive action (ie surgery) sooner vs later.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Thanx for the reply. I guess I want to hear successful stories regarding surgery since I dont know anyone who've done it. Yes Im almost limp on the left side so I guess its time to make it happen. 

• advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Ostrich

Where is your stenosis?

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• OstrichOstrich SwedenPosts: 8
    L5-S1  

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi Ostrich
    I had a large herniation at L5S1 which caused severe spinal stenosis. I had terrible sciatic nerve pain. I ended up having a microdiscectomy this past June. All of my pain is gone. So far, I am glad I had it done.
    Ellen 
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    I figured that Ellen would jump in if we knew where the stenosis is.  She is great that way!

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• OstrichOstrich SwedenPosts: 8
    Thank you for your input I'm going surgery within 2 months I'll update later on :smiley:" alt=":smiley:" height="20" /> 

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes! Also, one word of advice: (ok, 3 words) TAKE IT EASY! After surgery you are going to want to go back to normal as soon as possible. Take your time.
    Ellen 
  • I have always read or heard that surgery is the last option and you have it when the pain hinders your daily activity. I took that to mean seriously hinder your activity. I have gotten where I cannot go into a store and sometimes not walk a hundred feet or so. It does come and go but it comes much more frequently now.

I now feel I can wait no longer. I hope to have the coflex apparatus soon. 
  • carolet34ccarolet34 Hillsborough, New JerseyPosts: 2
    I would definitely do surgery. Your too young to be in such pain. Get it fixed and you'll be pain free. 
advertisement