First, I apologize about that my English isn´t good enough. I hope, however, that my message was properly understood. I am very grateful if someone read it, anyway!!!
I am a man of 39 years old
with an active life without health problems, except frequent anxiety attacks. Four years ago
I was diagnosed with a cervical herniated c6-c7
disc has dont given me problems all this time. Simply, any contracture on the right trapeze solved by going to a PT every two or three months.On April 28 of this year
I had a new and very strong cervical crisis
. I felt a lot of pain in his right arm and was with corticosteroid therapy, pregabaline, diazepam and Enantyum. I did a new MRI
and the diagnosis was a herniated cervical c6-c7, and two protrusions c4-c5-c6
. The EMG
also showed pathological activity in c6-c7-c5 and a little c4.
I have visited several doctors
(four neurosurgeons, an orthopedist and a neurologist) and finally I decided to wait several months to see if my "problem" could improve by iltself with time and conservative therapy
. I guess we're all afraid about the surgery and we hope that our problems are solved alone ...
After almost five months, ritgh now I not taking any medication
(except diazepam, but mostly for reasons of insomnia), but keep some symptoms. But it is curious, the symptoms are oscillating and changing much throughout the day or week. For example, a Monday I can have a symptom and not to suffer it until Thursday. It also happens that when I had my symptoms were severe crisis on the right side of my body and now happens on both sides (?). Now, my current symptoms
In the elbow
area of both arms. 1/10 to 3/10 level.
-Disconfort (not exactly numbness) on the fingers
of both hands, but really changing. Someday I have no disconfort, others only in the left thumb, others in the index of the left hand ...
in the neck
and pain, especially on the right side.
-Pain at the top of my right upper pectoral
behind the right eye
, a little on the forehead and temple (my neurologist says it is not due to cervical hernia).
-Today I tested my strength in the triceps
and the right is 60%, the left 100%. I scared enough, really. I always thought that the weakness was not one of my symptoms. Even when looking at the left triceps is stronger than the right. Before today he had not noticed.
Despite all that, I do normal life
. I returned to work (Im a teacher) and go swimming every day. My back problems not greatly influence the activity of my life. I also have to say that once a week I have physical therapy.
I know you can not tell me what I do in my case (only a doctor can make the decision with me), but I have some questions sure that with the experience you have can help me a bit to feel me oriented. I would greatly appreciate any response based on your own experience.
- It has been nearly five months after my crisis. The loss of strength (in my case only on the triceps) is normal to worsen further over time? Is it possible that my arm worsen further without surgery? Does anyone improved without surgery?
- I can assume my current situation and would rather not have surgery, at least for now. I still have consequences, but I think with physical therapy I can still improve something. I imagine that in the future will have to undergo surgery, but for now I prefer to wait. Did any of you, having a situation similar to mine, improved without operation after more months or years?
- Does anyone have the same problems (mainly c6-c7) has had headaches/pain associated behind the eye? Can you keep a relationship with cervical issues?
- To go to work I drive my car every day 40-50 minutes. For my cervical pathology, I have fear that if I have a little car accident my situation could get much worse and reach in a paralysis. Does the surgery would minimize these risks?
- Changing medical company in February 2017 and could then be operated by a renowned neurosurgeon in my country. If I keep the same symptoms as now, it is very risky to wait four or five months more to see if I improve and, if not, go directly to the operation?
Thanks a lot for your time, sincerely. I would be very very very grateful for any kind of response!!!!!