Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

New member recovering from spinal fusion of L4-S1

Good morning fellow spineys. I just had the spinal fusion on August 18th... Today is 5 weeks in recovery. It all started from a car accident in 2001. And gradually worsened over the 15 years while dodging surgery due to fear of more damage and/or paralysis :( . All these years I continued to work long strenuous hours, heavy lifting etc. Finally it came to the point I had ran out if options and could no longer bare the pain and limitations and was so miserable. So I was FINALLY referred to the orthopedic spinal surgeon I had requested years ago but wasn't able to get in with him... Until now. He told me on a couple visits that I was at Tue end of options and was in danger of permanent spinal and nerve damage so I done it.  From the time I woke up from surgery until about 2 weeks after it, I litterly wanted to die and end the pain and I'm not that negative type of person. I had to stay in the hospital the entire  5 days (he said 3 to 5 days) I had in mind before surgery that I would go home in 3... WRONG. LOL My incision was was longer than the 4 inch he said it would be but I had a lot of long term damage he had to work with, my incision was 7 inches-- 15 staples :O lol  
However, it will be 5 weeks this evening, took 4 hours in surgery, I seem to be recovering pretty good and that gives me hope. I'm still just walking around in my home and try to walk around my yard a little bit every day, I don't want to push anything and take a chance in damaging anything or breaking a rod or screw... Last year an older friend had surgery and about 2 or 3 months later ended up breaking the rod and had to go back in surgery... Not sure what he dine to cause it, he said he had been over doing it :( so I'm being very careful but don't want to just sit n be a couch potato ;)  I want to start trying to walk up and back my dirt road for more exercise. I also have left knee limitations due to a fall and breaking the knee cap completely in half March 2014 leaving joint damage that hasn't been treated yet. :( 
I was reading a lot if the different topics and what led me to this site was I was searching about severe night sweats so bad its like I had on clothes straight from the washer... Night shirt, pillows, sheet and my hair. For a long time I thought it was menopause (I just turned 49 in August, had hysterectomy at 27 y.o.) throughout the day I will get hot and cold some back n forth... For the last few years it was thought to be low iron but I'm not so sure.  I still have pain more on the right side of my spine about L5 which was way worse before the surgery, with severe numbness all the way down my legs, worse on rt side. I'm hoping that pain lessens after I heal. I understand it will take quite awhile, longer than a normal minor surgery . 
I noticed along my spine around the entire area of surgery that my spine protrudes which I know a lot of it is still swelling from the surgery and work inside, I also know the rods, screws, and center mixture is surrounding the outside part of my spine with the caging (which doesn't seem to be a full cage as I had imagined to be) appears to be on the inside ? Not sure.  My main problem is since I woke up in recovery and still now, I've had so much pain in my hips, hip joints and down half way my butt and cannot figure out why. The Dr didn't make any incisions in any if those areas or have to remove any bone from my boney hips, he took it from the back part of the vertebrea they shaved off so it's unexplainable to me. :(   Has anyone else had this issue after spinal surgery ??
Thanks in advance, Jerri (female) 
advertisement

Comments

• momsbrat67mmomsbrat67 North CarolinaPosts: 2
    I apologize, I did not realize it posted twice and don't know how to delete the other one. Sorry about that admin. 
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    jerri

welcome to the spine-health forums.

don't worry about it, you are good.  either it didn't really or post twice or one of us already deleted it - all is well.

night sweats are a somewhat common problem, there have been discussions about them.  your pain will probably come and go for a while.  the nerves will probably take many months to get to a new normal - i say it that way because you did wait a long time before having surgery, so some may not get to the point were the pain go totally away, but hopefully the new normal will be much better than pre surgery.

walking - it would be good for you to get out and walk to rebuild muscles and promote blood flow to the surgery site.  do you feel safe, bot from cars and from falling, walking on a dirt road?  if not, can you get to a neighborhood with sidewalks or a mall?  i would even go to big box home improvement stores to walk around the inside perimeter.

please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started welcome to spine-health

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• advertisement
  • kowserkkowser Low Angeles Posts: 35
    My pain management dr. Said because the sI joints are now effected. More pressure on it. I got an injection which didn't wirk