Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

St. Jude Proclaim Elite implant yesterday

advertisement

Comments

• BDUBSBBDUBS New YorkPosts: 38
    Hi Shep,
    I have been looking into these SCS devices for my aunt who has bad back pain. Can I ask why you went with the St. Jude? (I'm leaning toward the Nuvectra) Thank you
    Brian
  • Thank you so much for the info. I am scheduled for a permanent SCS but have not received the day my surgery will be yet. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can before surgery. The temporary stimulator went pretty well with the most help being in my feet to help with my neuropathy pain. I am praying it will help my back, neck, peripheral neuropathy. I tell everyone I hurt from the neck down. On top of FBSS, Fused C4-C6 with hardware; then had Fused L5-S1 with hardware 8 weeks later. I am in constant pain and at times can barely walk due to my back and feet . My feet always feel as though I am walking on hot broken glass. Fingertips are very bad too so I can't type as much as I would like. Thank you to everyone who is providing information on here. Oh I will be getting a St Judes SCS. Has anyone purchased a med alert bracelet to let doctors know that you have the implant in case of an accident or if I am non responsive? I would hate for an MRI to be performed on me with the implant in place. Thank you again and God bless you all.
  • advertisement
  • Hi I'm a police officer and it's been two years and unable to work do to pain.im useing burst program with st Jude and not happy  Think twice just FYI
  • edited 12/04/2016 - 7:42 PM
    Thank you for the info Pete2271.... Can you tell me more about what has happened to make you unhappy?  How did your trial go?  Any information you can give me I would really appreciate.  I don't think I have a choice in which SCS I get.   Oh and Pete2271, thank you for your service!  We have the greatest respect for our men and women in blue!
  • BDUBSBBDUBS New YorkPosts: 38
    Hi Rachael,
       I don't know if its of interest, but there are scs devices (I believe Boston Scientific has one) that are "Mri compatible" , some partial MRI , some full body. Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • advertisement
  •  Hi Pete, I also have the burst program with a St. Jude Proclaim scs. I recently had mine implanted and am thinking the rep will add more programs along the way. During my trial I got to try out 5 so I'm sure there'll be more. I'm still awfully sore from the laminectomy and paddle lead implant in the thoracic spine. I also have multilevel cervical DDD and disc bulges that the scs won't cover. I don't mind too much about having the battery charger replaced in 7 years since it's non rechargeable because my pump replacement surgery was much easier than the first time. To me it's easier than worrying about forgetting to charge it and then waiting hours if it totally dies. I like having the iPhone as a controller than the Medtronic. I had a terrible trial with the Medtronic and only opted for the scs again because the technology is better and I got to try another company. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Thanks to Tyson1234 for starting this thread. It's exactly what I needed.  I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet.  I have a pain doc and I'm getting the psychological exam in three days.  I now only need to pick which device will work best.   My pain doctor wanted me to speak to the three companies and make a decision and then he would give me his opinion. It's a good way for me to feel ownership in the decision. The new burst (St. Jude) technology looks very promising. As I write this on January 24, 2017 the burst is stll relatively new. I have been to a Boston Scientific presentation and spoke with a St Jude representative. The Medtronic rep is suppose to be in touch soon.  I can't at this point see any other option being better at pain control than the st Jude burst device. The only drawback is that we will not know the power requirements until after the trail.  At that point it would be too late to switch to a different company. If I could get 5 plus years, that would be great. Right now the burst is non rechargeable. They do have an older model, but it's not full body MRI capable so that's not an option for me.  However, if the burst is giving great results, it would be hard to pass up, even with less than 5 years of battery life.  Again,thanks for everyone sharing their experiences. It is extremely helpful.  Even the part about the pillow and the grabber!  Any updates are greatly appreciated.  
  • l will be having my surgery tomorrow at 11 am.  I was not given an option on which device I wanted, it will be the St Jude's Burst.  Also I won't be having paddles, only leads.  I asked about paddles and they said no only leads.  I hope it will work out for me. The trial really helped my peripheral neuropathy in my feet so I pray that it will help with everything else.  I have had neck fusion and back fusion within 8 weeks of each other and am in constant pain from the neck down in addition to fibromyalgia and peripheral neuropathy.  I am nervous and scared at the same time.  I pray it will go well tomorrow.  I thank you all for your inputs, it really helps me to see how things have worked or not worked for each individual.  
  • Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. I also wonder why they won't do paddle leads on you since you had several back surgeries. Do you have epidural fibrosis? I found out I did after my fusion and can't have anymore corrective surgeries. After SCS surgery I was told I have a lot of scar tissue at the thoracic spine where the leads are implanted. I know I'm prone to developing excess scar tissue as well. Paddle leads implantation and recovery is much tougher than percutaneous leads, and can take up to 6 months to fully heal. I'm 3 months out and still have incision pain. Hope all goes well tomorrow. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • Im not sure of a st jude proclaim, but I has a medtronic put it. Is that what a st jude is like? It send signals to my legs and back. If so, I hate my medtronic, but please tell me more about yours.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.