Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Almost 2 weeks Post op C3-C7 fusion and old hardware removal

Momof3girlsMMomof3girls MissouriPosts: 1
edited 09/26/2016 - 11:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have previous anterior c3 to c5, in 2009 then in 2010 posterior for new hardware placement and to replace failed fusion from previous year, there was no bone growth at all in the year, so on 9/16 I flew to [edit ].I am in Missouri, so a 9 hr drive wasn't going to happen, I have loss of feeling in legs, with no warning, and in my left arm it would lock up and stay that way for no telling how long...so back to 9/16 I went in for C3-C7, disc removal and all old hardware removal, with tinging and issues in left arm that day, surgery was 8 hours, and I came out fine, but within a few hours developed the severe spinal headache, and vomiting, was immediately placed flat on my back for 72 hours, after being raised back up, I have little control of my RIGHT arm, which had no previous issues, I can move it but can't control it..if I go to brush my hair I may end up brushing my face..lol..or trying to pull up pants with both hands the right will just drop and is useless, they did posterior and anterior surgery at the same time this time, so I am severely bruised on both arms and under arms, the dr actually asked me why the bruises were there, I sai I assumbed because of them flipping me in surgery? He said I don't think so? ok so where did bruises come from? He then ordered an immediate CT scan on. right shoulder because on top of not being able to use the arm the pain in the shoulder was severe, he was there waiting to review it immediately and said the screws were too long that he had just put in and were already impinging on nerves and I need immediate surgery again to shorten the screws, but with the problems of the spinal leakage he felt it was too dangerous to go back in so soon, trying to keep my pain under control has not been easy, I was in the hospital a week, and they stayed on top of it but with different meds..right now I take, Robaxin750 mg 3x a day, Hydroodone 10/650 every 4-6 hrs, Xanax 1mg, and Levaquin 500 mg, is what I was sent home with, it the hospital they gave me Delaudid, Percocet, Soma, Valium, Robaxin, Xanax, and the Levaquin.. I"m using ice packs for the shoulder but am having terrible time keeping it under control, they have my shoulder in a sling, and don't want me to use it, which is extremely hard, I am right handed, I have no hair, since he shaved it above my ears for surgery, and of course hard Aspen Collar..I go back to see him Tuesday before we leave to go back home from Dallas Texas to Missouri, I am trying to get everything question wise in order to ask him, I know there is always a risk in the surgeries of things that can go wrong, this is my 3 & 4TH with no previous after surgery issues til now, he said had I not had the Spinal Fluid Leakage he would have taken me right back into surgery, and it will need and have to be done in the next few weeks to 2 months, which he said will entail removing all hardware screws and shortening them, but there's no way to know if it will change my new issues with arm and shoulder...I need opinions of questions to ask what I should be prepared for and what my options are.. any questions feel free to ask. Thanks so much!
advertisement