Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Everything Hurts - New Member

hi there everyone, thanks for having me i just found out about this site. and was wondering if anyone has the same things as me. 

I hurt my back 3 years ago at work( picked up a 40 pound bag of dog food and heard something pop), went on a couple weeks wsib and then went back (people at work were very rude to me after this happened saying i hurt my back on purpose) the third shift that i went back after i hurt it the first time, i fell in the bathroom and couldnt' feel my legs. I ended up spending the day in the hospital, got some pain medication and they sent me home. They brought me back for a MRI ( which ended up being a CAT scan  because i was over weight and they didn't think i'd fit in the mri) so they came back with severe nerve damage and impingment. They gave me a nerve test to conclude that i did have nerve damage. They weren't sure as to why my back wasn't healing. I did physio for the first time during the 2 weeks i was off work. They ended up telling me there was nothing they could do. I ended up doing swimming physio and it was great until i got out of the pool. the pain was excruitating. The next year after that i was in and out of the hospital with not feeling my legs, having muscle spasms, etc etc. It wasn't until January of this year (2016) that i got referred to a rehab doctor, they did the normal tests, lift your leg, lean forward, lean backward etc etc. and then sent me for a MRI. i fit in the machine, and they ended up diagnosing me with Central Canal Stenosis with Nerve damage. I went back to the rehab doctor and they did another nerve test on my legs. The left leg felt weird during the first part of the test but it didn't bother me. the second part (where they put the needle into a muscle and shock it) is what killed me, it literally hurt and left a mark!. they referred me then to a pain care to see if they couldn't help me sleep. (my sleeping habits have changed an awful lot since hurting my back). I get 6 injections into my spine ( four down my spine (l3 and l5) ) and  one in each of my hip joint. They help the day i get them but then i'm back in pain the following day. I ended up spending the night in a hospital in toronto and they gave me percocets (just 4) and they helped me sleep and it was wonderful. I'm not one to be addicted to anything but when you get no relief from robaxaset or robaxisil anymore you gotta find something else.. I am constantly worrying about my state of mind and health. I find that if i sleep i don't hurt, but then i get woken up by pain, either in my legs or my feet. I can't stand for long periods of time anymore, i can't sit at all. I'm always in pain. i'm sick and tired of always answering people with " my back hurts " "it always hurts " when they ask me how it is. I lost a lot of friends due to this as i stay in the house in bed as i can't really do much anymore. I''m currently on disability as i can't work. I had a job and lasted 4 shifts. i ended up being sent home after 4 hours of a 8 hour shift. and i had to quit the next day. i guess what i'm getting at is, how do you live with pain? I feel as if my doctor doesn't believe me that i'm in pain, and that i need something to help.... i appreciate all comments, and hope to get to the bottom of this. 
advertisement

Comments

• hello, stephsback!

your introductory post touches upon so many issues that arise for people who suffer from chronic pain conditions--emotional, financial, not to mention physical, etc.  it's very hard not to feel overwhelmed when you are in a position such as yours.  you've definitely come to the right place to talk about how you're feeling...there are many, many of us here who can relate to what you are going through, me being just one of those many!  i will say from the personal experience of being a member here that even just one person reaching out to tell you they understand can do wonders when your spirit is low, and you feel like your body has betrayed the vision you had for your life.

i'd like to welcome you to spine-health!  please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

welcome to spine-health
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    you've touched on the fact that you are overweight.  Is there anything you are able to do to reduce you weight?  I work hard in the pool 3 x weekly at an aquacise class.  I actually started going when I was at my very worst, waiting for surgery.  I was in so much pain, but if I could just get myself to the pool, I knew that for 45 minutes I could work out without added pain (yes, there still was pain).  Yes, getting out of the pool would be a reality check.  But I was doing my body good.  To be able to something good for your body when you are consumed with pain 24/7 does wonders - not just physically, but psychologically/emotionally as well.  Of course, any exercise program should be OK'd by your doctor before you try it.  I have had my own struggle with weight.  Although I was at my healthiest adult weight  when I herniated a disc, I soon started putting back on the weight I'd lost previously.  Medication, emotional eating, inactivity - these all played a part in re-gaining the weight.  But now I'm at a place where I know I can start getting serious about weight-loss again.  I'm just saying I know the struggle.  But it is one thing I CAN do to make things easier for my body to function at its peak.  All the best to you!
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,255
    As Kimmy stated, most of us here have and are going thru what you are. Someone here called it job and people shaming. But no amount of explaining is ever going to make them understand. You've just got to move on and be concerned with your health. And, you won't get that here.
    Just curious, have you been referred to a pain management doctor or neurosurgeon? 
    We all deal with pain differently. Some people's pain tolerance is higher that others. And it plays on your mind, spirit, emotions and physically. I was always very active but 2 yrs ago stopped me in my tracks. Slowed way down. Now I'm on bed rest for a while. But mentally I'm ok with it. It is what it is. It's not your fault and you're doing everything you can to get back on your feet and out of pain.
    Thank in there, let us know how you're doing and what's next.
    Sandra
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History