Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

~Hello!~ Post L5-S1Spinal Fusion Surgery... Painful, Physically and Emotionally

Hi All-

I am 22 years old and am on week 2 post Spinal Fusion surgery. I was diagnosed with Spondylolisthesis, and it's been a journey. I came across this site, and was relieved to see so many people who have gone through the same, or similar pain.

Being on bedrest, limited movement, always in pain, and needing to be dependent on others has gotten me feeling down these last few days. During the surgery, they had to move the nerves over, so my left foot has been numb since the procedure. It seems to not be getting any better, if not worse. The sensation is strange. It's a tingly kind of numb, but a burning and uncomfortable feeling. It's hard to take my mind off of it. This is along with the pain from the incision. Who knew so many things in my daily routine require back muscles! One time I sneezed and it was so painful... Little things like that, and not being able to do my normal routine has made me sad at times. 

I am blessed with supportive people in my life, but voicing my pain and knowing the pain are two different things. If anyone has had the spinal fusion procedure done, how is/was your recovery? What are some things that you do to make time go by? I have watched so much TV in the last few weeks, I'm running out of things to watch! 

I would love to hear others' stories on post surgery recovery. Any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you to anyone who took the time to read my post. Have a great rest of your day! 
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi rwada
    You are very early in recovery! Many of the things you are feeling are normal. I did not have a fusion but many here have and I am sure they will be happy to share their experiences with you.
    Best of luck!
    Ellen 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello rwada!
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement