Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post L4-L5-S1fusion

Hi everyone,on 10/4 it will be 4 weeks since my surgery,and so far I feel pretty good,am walking,stationary bike,elliptical ,all totaling 1 hour per day,I see my Dr. on 10/24 with x rays to see how things look,and for further p.t.,getting on this forum has been a very helpful tool for me,I will keep posting once a month to keep everyone updated on my recovery.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi victorr Thanks for your post.  I am on the waiting list for TLIF L4-L5-S1, so very interested in post surgery activity.  I have had two surgeries already but not fusion so want to retrain my brain on post op care.

Was this your first surgery or have you had previous?

How have the pain levels been and what meds did they stop or introduce post op?

Which style of surgery did you have?

the stationary bike sounds interesting as I was instructed after discectomy 'no sitting, only perching for meals & toilet for 6 weeks'.  I do not want my post op care from before to hold me back in areas I can achieve more.

Any input would be great to hear as you progress and what input you have from your Dr. on your follow up.

Sorry for lots of questions but feel it is time for me to research for this now
    AJ

AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • victorrvvictorr Tampa bay,FloridaPosts: 18
    Hey AJ,all good questions,I had a Posterior lumbar inter body  fusion,this was my second surgery,first one was the same,but at the L5-S1 level,so now I developed a Spondyllolisthesis at the L4,in which created a cyst to complicate the matter,anyway,Doc. did a fantastic job on me ,surgery was on Sept.6 and I was home on the 10th ,after 3 days home,I stopped taking pain pills,and took Ibuprofen 800 twice a day,and Valium as needed to calm things down,ice is very helpful as well,I started biking 2weeks after surgery 20 to 30 minutes ,No Leaning forward is a must,next week I start walking in the lap pool ,we all need to keep our core muscles as strong as possible,but you can't do too much too soon,or you'll be in pain,we need to keep the fusion going,lots of luck to you ,I would highly recommend my Dr. In Clearwater Fl.,to anybody,there is no one else that's going to touch my back or neck.
  • advertisement
  • Many thanks for this response victorr, most helpful.

I found your history and very interested to know about your problem at C5/6 and your fusion at this level.

Did your C-spine problems appear after your first lumbar surgery?  I have a problem at this area and have been told by one previous surgeon I would need a disc replacement here, then told by another consultant I was too old for a disc replacement! Now my current surgeon says he will only deal with one area at a time and has me on the waiting list for double level lumbar fusiion.  My symptoms in the upper limbs are progressive so I had another MRI last week to look at the current conditions at C-spine level, to ensure position during lumbar surgery will not cause any serious long term damage  in this area.

A decision was made to scan my whole spine which extended my time in the scanner, for which I am still suffering the effects of. No pain, no gain I guess on this one!

I am interested to know what extent your symptoms got to before your C5/6 surgery was considered and what those symptoms were.  

Really appreciate your input on this
    AJ

AJGormit

L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    Hey AJ,yes my neck issue was after my first fusion,8 years later,but think it was due to swimming laps,since I couldn't run anymore I started swimming a lot,the constant turning of my head to breath I feel caused my herniation in the neck,I actually had 4 herniated disks,but my DR.cleaned up my neck,and said I only needed 1 fusion at 5/6 level,I competed in Ironman triathlons from 1984 to 1998,that's when all hell started with me ,hopefully now,after my recovery,I can get back in the pool and do some laps, but without turning my head,there's a special snorkel that the US Olympic team uses,which allows you to swim without moving your head side to side,it's made by Finis,I got to keep moving my friend,good luck to you my friend.
  • That must have been difficult to go from that level of exercise to surgery.  Good you were able to keep the swimming aspect of your training in practice.  Good luck with the snorkel in post op exercise this time round.

Sorry to jump from neck issues to lumbar but can you confirm who passed the static bike at the 2 week point. Physio, surgeon or yourself?  Very impressed on the timescales as I know without doubt, I could not have even got on a bike 2 weeks post op last time, let alone pedal it!  A big struggle last time but hoping the metal work of the fusion will shore everything up this time, so stability is not such a problem during post op exercises.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and much respect at your achievements 84-98
    AJ

AJGormit

• advertisement
  • NotMeNNotMe Denmark, EuropePosts: 73
    Hi Victorr 
    did your doc recommend ibuprofen ? My doc has said no NSAID for the first year postoperative as it might harm the fusion. I have "lived" on ibuprofen until now, (I'm at my second day postoperative and still in hospital) . I don't know which doc is right, but I would check up on it before taking more ibuprofen , since others in this forum has told the same. 
    Hi not me,I was ibuprofen for only 1 week ,1 pill two times per day as needed,Dr.said it was ok.
    Hey AJ,as far as riding the stationary bike my DR. said as long as I don't lean forward,it's ok,or use a recumbent bike,but I don't like them,I do 30 minutes,then I walk for another 30 minutes,or if I don't ride I walk for 1 hour.
    Hey,what I want to know is when can I get back on my Harley again,still in my blood after all these years,maybe someone can let me know ,before I see my Dr. on 10/24.just curious ,am not in a rush .
  • Thanks for response on the bike victor.  I will check it with my physio on my pre-op visit in hospital .. when I get a date!  Struggling a lot at the moment so hoping to get a date soon.

Sorry I can't answer about the Harley but the sitting position may need to be worked on to achieve that if the advice is not to lean forward :-).  Something to look forward to in the future maybe. Fingers crossed
    AJ
    AJGormit

advertisement