Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pro Disc C removal

advertisement

Comments

• Yeah, Nutcase007, I also asked about the artificial disc replacement.  Too much degeneration, so it was a no-go.  We're "carbon (polymer) copies" in that regard!
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • gmanngmann Ohio Posts: 10
    How painful is the injection into the facet joint? The 2nd opinion dr wants to do this to pinpoint the problem. I had an epidural before into the disc and that was horrible. I don't think the anistetic works the best on me, I have the same issue at the dentist though, usually having to need extra numbing. 
  • advertisement
    On another note, the more research I do the worse it looks. According to the way I'm understanding it, I should have "never" been a candidate for pro disc c at c6c7 due to the fact that I had a damaged disc at c5c6 that had fused itself many years prior. 
  • Gmann--I had facet joint injections, and I also have the issue of needing extra numbing agents at the dentist.  The doctor who did mine was excellent, and I only felt a little "zing" when he did the last injection (the lidocaine was probably wearing off by that point).  My facet joint injections were actually less painful than any of the epidurals I had (both cervical and lumbar)!  It might be a good idea to let the doctor who will be performing the facet injections that you typically demonstrate a high tolerance for numbing agents...
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
    My wife (dental hygienist) had a patient yesterday that was a chiropractor...she told him my whole story and he tells her he wants to talk to me, and absolutely don't do rfa or get surgery. Hmmmmm....I've saw three different chiropractors in the past with no results which is why I had surgery . I'm not sure chiro is a good idea if that artificial disc is moving weirdly as it is. I haven't tried any chiropractic since my surgery, and I'm not convinced that's the answer either.
  • advertisement
    I just got my newest X-rays in the mail and that disc is extremely crooked...I uploaded it to my profile pic
  • I know this is a 4 month old thread, but I don't want to start a new one for something that comes up often.
    I'm going to try and keep this somewhat short.
    I broke my C-2, and 4 lumbar vertabre (and a bunch of other bones) in 2004. The part of my C-2 that broke off dissintigrated, and re-formed as a hook. (See MRI pic)
    Things got progressively worse for years. Finally in 2010 my surgeon decided to remove 5-6, and 6-7 and replace with pro-disc C. 
    I gained range of motion, but pain never got better and has gotten worse. I have a few bad disks in my back I'm putting off for now. On a 1-10 pain scale, with medication it's been hovering around a 5. The last few months, I don't know what happened, but the neck is usually about 8 minimum now. My back has remained at 5 so I know it's not a tolerance issue.
    I had a MRI on Monday, but I doubt he'll be able to see much close to the hardware. Last time, he just told me to increase meds.
    I haven't been able to work since 2013 (still fighting for disability) But, I'd like to eventually teach at tech school level. (I can teach from a wheelchair when my back acts up, and I won't need my arms/hands as much to teach. (I'm a tool and die maker with a niche in micro Tig welding.
    If he doesn't do something, I'll definitely never be able to work again. Also, I DON'T want any major increases in pain meds, because I'll probably be on them forever, and don't want to become immune.
    I've heard they can leave in the prodigal, and basically 'splint' over them, basically fusing them. I imagine the discs above and below need to go away as they were starting to buldge the last time. But, I'll definitely NOT get any replacements. When he decides it's time to remove my bad lumbars, I'll ask him to fuse them.
    Also, look at my MRI picture. I wonder if my C-2 hook is an issue.
    As a tool maker, I've slotted many things and built tooling and machinery that basically act like how the replacements were supposed to. But to my eye's, he didn't put them in straight, at least not to tool maker tolerances. So, I personally think they have caused issues from day one.
    What options do I have?
    Right now, I'd I do the hear from my surgeon on Monday to set up the consult, I'm afraid to ask my pain doc to increase meds, as they frown upon patients asking for more drugs, but it's out of hand.
    Living in pain and as a cripple has been hard enough, but now I'm even in more pain.
    Any ideas? Thoughts? It's bad enough my last two employees told me I CANT work anymore, but now I can't even do things I used to enjoy. Fishing, hunt/hike, etc...  I can't even wash a dish without breaking it. It's also hard to do any other routine task. Im afraid I'll flip if the surgeon won't fix it, and I refuse to live in this much pain, for much longer.
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,617
    Hello C_Guy
    There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    First off cervical ADR removal should only be done by those experienced in it, and it is much easier to transition to a fusion than lumbar.
    The thing that sticks out to me is if you had facet issues the Dr should never have done and ADR as facet issues are the biggest predictor of failed ADR, usually with exp Drs that would be a no go from start and would have offered fusion.  As far as chiropractor goes they usually have no knowledge of ADR complexities so be careful.  
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
advertisement