Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Questions about Topamax

Hi all! I finally saw the neurologist after months on a waiting list. 

Anyway, we addressed my horrific headaches and since during my waiting list time, I had all the bloodwork, and brain MRIs done he was able to diagnose me with Chronic Migraine consiquential to spinal cord compression. With that he prescribed Topamax to be taken three times a day. 

I have not received my medication yet as this is workers comp and they have to approve all medications, that could take days. 

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? It says it is an epilepsy medicine, at this point I am willing to try anything. Injections and nerve blocks did not help and no OTC meds touch my migraines. I am hopefull that helps. The Dr. Said it won't erase the migraines but reduce the frequency and intensity. If in 30 days there is no change we will try something else. 

Some of the side effects are scary, but if one goes by that, we would never try anything. 

Any experiences are appreciated. 

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Long ago, I had horrific migraines, also!
    I was on top Amal for awhile and it was effective for me...until it wasn't and we needed to change daily med.
    Myself, I didn't experience side effects.

Good luck to you in finding relief!
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I took it for a little over a year. I had some of the side effects such as my face and arms going numb. I didn't get much relief from it. I was switched to a beta blocker for migraine prevention and it works well. Plus generic and MUCH cheaper. Not nearly the side effects as Topamax.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • advertisement
  • Thanks Savage and EMS Guy. I have been taking the Topamax now for about two weeks. I have not noticed much a change. I do get this odd sensation that my entire spinal collumn is buzzing from head to tail which is brand new so I can only imagine it is related to this medication. 

It really only happens or I should say I truly only notice when laying down, so if that is the worst of it, I can live with it. I was told to slowly increase to three times a day over the course of three weeks so we shall see how it goes. I am at two a day now. It took forever for workers comp to approve, my doctor had to fight with them as always. 
  • I been on topramax now for a year now for migraines, once it took hold in my system if I recall was a few weeks migraines were gone!

Good luck!
  • My son takes it for migraines, helps a lot. I take it for my disc/nerve issues and it does help me. We had to lower the does as initially I had some weird, disturbing numbness around my mouth. But the lower dose really helps. I DID try the new long acting version-NOT good, could NOT sleep! But I'm grateful for how it helps my nerve pain.

• advertisement