Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SCS trial next week - Nuvectra

advertisement

Comments

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 744
    Wanted to share that I have 2 programs on my SCS. One for lumbar and one for mid-back. My lumbar has been a huge issue for 16 years so this is the program I use most. I look forward to getting some new programs tomorrow. I may also be able to set up my own programs with the charger. I will ask the Nuvectra rep about that too. 
    Got to try the no paresthesia setting, on the perm SCS, for the first time this afternoon. It's doing the trick and I feel nothing. No lumbar or thoracic pain. Amazing. Can I leave it on this setting? Time will tell. I would guess this uses less battery too. Just a guess. 
  • advertisement
    Tried the no paresthesia setting to sleep last night. Huge mistake. Woke up to use the bathroom. Could barely walk to and from there. Woke up this morning  in extreme pain! I will chase pain all morning. I will never try that again. It's ok to try it for 2 or 3 hrs at a time during the day but that's about it. 
  • Hi Jimandjr! Just wanted to follow up to see how your experience with Algovita's been going since your last post? 

Wanted to also thank you for documenting your first experience with this new SCS. I've been doing research myself and want to maybe talk to a Nuvectra rep near me (located in South Florida) to learn a little bit more about the device and what physicians in my area might be currently offering it. From my research so far, and alongside Bdubs comments, I do think the Algovita product looks best (based on specs) compared to the other SCS products that have been around for awhile. 

In any event, looking forward to hearing from you soon. Hope you had a wonderful holiday season, and an early happy new year!
    Love your handle. I was a huge Kobe fan. It did not happen overnight living in Dallas of course. Lakers have been my arch enemy since I was a Celtics (Bird) fan and also a Mavs fan. Anyway.....each day the swelling goes down where there installed the unit and less pain in the area also. Algovita has many settings. The setting I use 99% of the time is the high frequency setting. This is what the Nuvectra rep calls it. It is the non-paresthesia setting. When I first got the perm SCS, I needed very strong vibrations. It's possible I needed that to fight the surgical pain. My life has really improved since I got it. Mind you, I am far from cured. It just allows me to stand and run errands with much less pain than before. This SCS allows me to move pain around since I have pain from my neck to my lowest lumbar. I will fool my body and turn on strong vibrations if I have a certain pain. Then, I go to the high freq setting and usually that will help lumbar pain. I do have cervical pain, shoulder pain, and left arm pain. The scs only goes up so high. I am 6 ft 4 with an extremely long back and short legs. My family and I feel my super long back may be what caused all my spine issues. Sad. There's really nothing I can do about that. Just turned out that way. To sum it up, I'm very happy with the Algovita. It offers more settings than the Nevro which is silent 100% of the time. I charge it 2 days a week for about 3 hrs each time. I do this while watching tv. There's an SCS unit that does not charge. I forget the brand. I can't imagine that sends out much of a signal to help with pain. Sometimes, I turn this Algovita way up and it's just like a massage chair. Hope this helps make your decision. I feel so lucky my PM wanted to try this new brand for the first time on me. 
  • advertisement
  • Black8Mamba23BBlack8Mamba23 Posts: 7
    edited 12/29/2016 - 10:20 AM
    Haha, glad you appreciated and "caught" my handle. I've been a huge Kobe fan since he was first drafted; have to say that watching regular season games just isn't the same without seeing him on the Lakers. In any event, thank you for the detailed follow-up, it's much appreciated!!! Sounds like you've had a good experience with the Algovita implant; I have two follow-up questions if that's alright:

Has the Nuvectra rep made him or herself available to you if you have any questions/comments/concerns since after the implant? I know you made some mention of this, and it really caught my eye. I wonder if reps for other the other devices also offer this type of communication with the company? 

In regards to the other brands, did your PM offer by chance any side-by-side comparison with other stuff you could try as far as SCS devices go? What was the value proposition he saw with the Algovita SCS? 

Thanks again!!! 
    Yes, I have the cell number of the Nuvectra rep and can call or text anytime. I can also meet him anytime for free for the life of the SCS. He will meet me and make adjustments to me SCS if needed. We must meet at a medical office, not my house. I assume that's for his safety. You never know what kind of nuts are out there. 

No, my PM told me he is trying a new device and this is the one he got approved for me. When he said new device, I thought it would be the Nevro but nope. I always trust me PM and do whatever he says. My normal hospital where I had my ADR and ACDF did not have this new device approved yet. I had to drive a few miles further to a nice new Baylor hospital in Frisco TX. Other than waiting all day in preop, the experience was good there. My ortho said I would spend the night in the hospital but I was feeling so good, he decided to send me home that night. 
    When I call or meet the Nuvectra rep, it's all free. 
  • DoomdoomvDDoomdoomv Posts: 5
    edited 03/20/2017 - 5:36 PM
    I'm kinda freaking out.  I get mine the day after tomorrow.  Wed. Mar. 22, 2017.   I'm a CBP Officer and wondering how long I might be out of work or not be able to wear my duty belt.   I don't want light duty.  Y'all think I can swing it wearing my 23 lb belt and just sitting entire day doing office work. 
    edited 03/21/2017 - 1:33 AM
    My pain level was off the charts for about 5 days. Nothing helped. Sitting or lying down. I have been on norco for years. Doc just gave me 2 more a day than my usual. Did not help. 
advertisement