Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Numbness post Laminectomy @ L-3

I had the Laminectomy at L-3 in May of this year. It was supposed to be an Outpatient surgery but when I awoke after the surgery I realized my right leg from my waist down to my toes were numb. My doctor didn't believe me when I told him that I could not feel or move my right leg. I was forced to go to a Rehab Facility to try to walk again. The rehab only got me on a walker. I try a cane but am clumsy with it.
I had the surgery to ease the pain in my back but what I got is a numb leg and according to my doctor the nerve is "shot" and he "cannot do anything else" for me and dismissed me.
Will I get the feeling back in my leg? Has anyone had this happen to them? It has been 5 months and still no feeling. My life is so complicated now! I have to carefully plan a trip to an appointment so I will not end up flat on my face in the road or in a hallway somewhere. I need help at home but my insurance will not pay.
My doctor did not tell me that my leg being numb was a possibility post surgery and, as a matter of fact, never told me about any risks.
I should have known better as I have worked in the medical/healthcare field my entire career but I fell for the ease in talking with him and the joking around and even his office staff....I was stupid!
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Karen

If I were in your shoes I would seek out a second opinion.  Your doctors feedback "the nerve is shot" just doesn't sound right for a laminectomy. 

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello AnnyJane !
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement