Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Fentanyl Side Efffect maybe?

Hello, are there any fentanyl users here who could chime in. My mother had a compression fracture from either osteoporosis or bone mets. Pain relief is the goal for her so after Ibuprofen didn't work the doctor gave her fentanyl patches 25 dose to start as she's very thin - 83 lbs. She applied the first one about 36 hours ago. She was a little drowsy this morning but seemed as I'd expect someone taking opiods for the first time to seem. I visited her this afternoon with my son. Son stayed with her and I went to get some groceries. When I got back she told me that she was walking into the kitchen (she's chair bound and was with my son in the living area the whole time) and she saw 2 cats having a great conversation (she has 1 cat). Is this the fentanyl?  She's had a little dementia for some time, she will often mix morning and night or get her coat and umbrella to go to bed but she's never told me she observed 2 cats conversing! My son said she was drowsy while watching TV but never actually fell asleep so I'm not sure if this was a dream or a hallucination or..... I've had a bad back myself for years but have no experience with these type of meds.

Does anyone think this is a reaction to the fentanyl that resolves with time?Or is it completely abnormal and something I should call the dr about on Monday.

Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• Hello, SamSugar!

I think it is probably in your mother's best interest for you to put a call in to the doctor.  Anytime there is a change in pain and/or behavior, her doctor should know about it so that he/she can provide the best care possible.  Additionally, "time is of the essence", so the sooner you let her doctor know, the better.

I'd like to welcome you to Spine-Health!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • maehaleymaehaley PennsylvaniaPosts: 322
    I don't have any experience with Fentanyl, but after reading the medication pamphlets for many pain medications I have seen that they can affect the elderly differently. I would definitely call the doctor. Hope she is alright!
  • advertisement
  • I speak from experience. My wife has a rare form of dementia and if she is given an opiate for pain, she has hallucinations and will continue to have them while on the medication. Call her doctor immediately.
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I would def let the doctor know about this. Usually Fentanyl is used in opioid tolerant patients....has she been on opioids before? 

Spinal Health Moderator 

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
    Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
    Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
    Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
    Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
    PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5
  • I have been on Fentanyl for years, 75 mcg.  Call the doctor!
  • advertisement
advertisement