Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Social Security Disability

azepeda02aazepeda02 Katy, TXPosts: 5
edited 10/09/2016 - 11:02 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hello, hope everyone is past my situation and there way to a healthy recovery life. Here are my situations I've been waiting for Social Security Disability to approve my disabilities and it does not look good for me. I've been denied twice and I really do not understand why I can hardly walk or sit for long periods. I do have an attorney working on my disability case. I'm going in for my SCS implant since four level fusion left me with a lot of leg pain, numbness & tingling needle sensation all the way to my feet. I've been seeing a pain management doctor for about a year now. My question to everyone is what they went through to get approved with SSI Disability?? I'm in Texas but my review went to Kansas City that by it self seems kind of sketchy. It seem that SSI approves the simplest and dumbest things but the the ones that really and truly need it do not get approved. I'm am now waiting for my court date since I've been denied twice already and I have been told that that could take up to a year to even get a court date. Also my second question is that are SCS considered an automatic approval for SSI benefits?? I know nothing is automatic with SSI but do they strongly take that into consideration since the fear of implant leads moving or deing damaged with all the bending, lifting or twisting dearing the long work days/weeks. I know when I got the SCS Trial the one requirement was no bending, lifting or twisting. Sorry for such a long story but I guess I'm just venting. Thanks for taking the time to review my situations. 
advertisement

Comments

• gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 240
    SSD will look at the age you are now, education level, jobs you have held. What work skills do you have. And the big one, what can or type of job could you do.  Then they will get all your medical records from all your treating doctors.  Plus if your working now. It  will say, I can work.  You are right, Their are some who get SSD and you think.. Im worse off than you are. I am from PA. We have what I call the big book. If your issue is not listed in the book, it will be hard to get SSD on the first attempt. Then you have to get a lawyer and prove to the judge your are disabled from the work you are doing and you cant work any other type of job. If your hearing is a year from now,  will you be working? 
    Greg fisher
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 240
    Kimmy, I know that look and feeling. I to look like that to. Dont give up is all I can say. It will lead to depression. The ones who truly need help with SSD are turned away. Making someone have to deal with more problems then they already have. Its a screwed up system.  But to return to the original question that I did not answer. I just filled out the online application, hit submit  and was approved in less than 3 months with back pay. I hate to say that because of all the people fighting with the same issues I have. I was expecting to be denied, as it seems everyone is.  Not sure what raises a red flag with the the caseworker who is assigned with what case. Or how they look at things. It truly is not fair. With driving..I just lost my drivers licence last week due to health reasons. Now I deal with who is going where and when. Can I hitch a ride. Can you drop, pick this up.  I am in the process of trying to get it back. Its as hard as it is to get SSD. I need to retain a lawyer, Who is not free. Then appeal it with in 30 days with the Court Of Common Pleas. And hope they over turn it.  
    Greg fisher
  • advertisement
  • azepeda02aazepeda02 Katy, TXPosts: 5
    That's the problem in it's self. I received denial letter and it states herniated disk was the issue. And I had a back four level back fusion and am now going for a Medtronic spinal cord stimulator implant. I provided my medical records from the neurologist that performed my fusion surgery back in 2015 and submitted new medical information on the Medtronic SCS and still got denied. I wish these case workers would make home visits so they could see what some of us disabled tax paying people go through on a daily basis. My PCP/PM doctors were both surprised I got denied with the type of things I go through daily. I was get a haircut the other day and was talking to barber and he stated he was on disability and he is perfect condition no problems at all, asked how he did it and he stated all you have to say is that you are depressed and I would be awarded benefits. Can you guys believe that?? Again thanks for taking the time and I really hope you guys get your approval soon. 
  • azepeda02aazepeda02 Katy, TXPosts: 5
    gfish- I have not worked since 7/14/2015 since the job I had then had to terminate my employment because I was unable to return within a six month period so by law they had to terminate to let me receive long term disability. And at the time my doctors would not and still have not  released me to return to work due to my condition. My condition(s) are listed on the Texas Book but I think they are now reading through all the medical records that I have provided to list it under herniated disk instead of a four level fusion. I've researched it before I applied for the SSD benefits. 

• azepeda02 said:

That's the problem in it's self. I received denial letter and it states herniated disk was the issue. And I had a back four level back fusion and am now going for a Medtronic spinal cord stimulator implant. I provided my medical records from the neurologist that performed my fusion surgery back in 2015 and submitted new medical information on the Medtronic SCS and still got denied. I wish these case workers would make home visits so they could see what some of us disabled tax paying people go through on a daily basis. My PCP/PM doctors were both surprised I got denied with the type of things I go through daily. I was get a haircut the other day and was talking to barber and he stated he was on disability and he is perfect condition no problems at all, asked how he did it and he stated all you have to say is that you are depressed and I would be awarded benefits. Can you guys believe that?? Again thanks for taking the time and I really hope you guys get your approval soon. 

That is no lie! I know a woman who has severe brain damage causing all sorts of neuro issues from a chemical spill at her company. After years of denial letters for SSD. Finally at a psych consult during her last attemp she blew up and told the IME psychiatrist off ststing she was going to be denied again anyway so who cares. He asked if she was depressed, she said " of course, I have major neurological problems, brain damage, you people do not care, I am losing my home because I cannot work so yeah, I am depressed genius!" 

She was approved and received all back pay in about two months. Weird but true. 
  • advertisement
  • So besides all of our pain that we go through isn't enough, all we have to do is say we are depressed?
    Wendy Reed
  • Hello I just got the Function Report in the mail.  I will be sending medical proof of my issues.  Fibromyalgia, depression, sacroiliac joint dysfunction and chondromalacia.  I hope with everything that I have will get me approved.  I do not have the money for my medicines or even to see a doctor right now.  I've been on WC since May and some of the health issues I've had has gotten worse along with the injury.  I've had 2 shots in my hip since march and maybe helped for a day.  The WC knee one shot and maybe helped through the night and has hurt worse since. I just want some of my life back after all this. 

• LizLiz Posts: 9,726

This is an old discussion the member that created it has not been back to the forum for over 12 months so I am closing it

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.