Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Almost 8 months post-op and still cannot run

Comments

• So guys....all of your advice is greatly appreciated.
    However, my question is when and how exactly will I know the fusion was successful.....
    or that another procedure is necessary ?
    This is kind of a catch-22 situation, isn't it ?
    What are the signs that the surgery was successful or that it failed ?

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Joe

As said above it will likely take a year plus to confirm if the surgery was a success.   That is... your x-rays or scans clearly show a full fusion and you feel "normal" and solid in your back again... and are out of any kind of daily pain or discomfort.  When the next procedure takes place is pretty much up to you... if you are "kind to your back" for the rest of your life... and keep fit then you may never need another procedure again.  If you abuse your back... or are stuck with bad genes that give you DDD you may have to have more procedures down the road.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • Thanks to all who responded....it's been a great thread.
    As you can all see, my "big problem" is patience....or lack thereof. :o
  • I am sure your  daughters will totally understand that your back health is far more important than fulfilling something that could fast track you to a wheelchair.

I think we all have something we would love to still be able to achieve, but we have had to adjust that achievement to our current conditions.  Challenges are good so set some new ones based on the information we have shared and share that with us for a 'post fused' achievement :-)

I am very interested to hear about your pre op inability to hold a coffee cup.  I was told the my arms issues could not be caused by my lumbar problems.   They have discovered I have cervical issues now. but my problems with holding a cup in one hand without my grasp releasing it started happening after my first herniation.

AJ
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • AJ -
    I am definitely going to do that 3-daughter triathlon....and as others have indicated, I am not yet totally fused.
    My problem is: I've lost my patience after 8 months of rigorous PT. It's been an arduous journey.

Being over the age of 50, I've got to recognized that complete fusion is going to take longer than a 30 year old.
    I'll be one-year post-op in Feb of 2017.

My pre-op condition was quite severe: acute spinal stenosis and cauda aquina syndrome.
    The pain was constant...except when I had the epidurals...which simply masked the condition.
    They were worthless....despite the fact that several physical therapists said I would be "good to go" after the second.
    They were totally wrong.

• advertisement
advertisement