Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

"Interdisciplinary" Pain Programs

Hi everyone -  I don't mean to jump straight into a
subject matter, but I am heavily stressed about making a decision to
enter an "Interdisciplinary" pain program. This kind of program takes
you off opioid painkillers and works with you on PT, meditation,
dependence issues, etc. The one I am considering is in CT. I don't
want to name it as I'm not sure if that is okay. There are only about 7
such facilities in the US. Has anyone here attended one of these
programs?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,193
    Never heard of this....
    I know you cant name the program, but what town in CT is it being offered?  I would like to investigate.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • New Canaan, CT.  It is a private psychiatric hospital that treats other forms of addiction and psyc. issues.  Generally well regarded from what I know.
  • advertisement
  • If you Google - Chronic Pain Programs, it will generally come up on the first page.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    edited 10/12/2016 - 8:23 AM
    So I was offered one at a very prestigious teaching hospital and it's considered interdisciplinary and had pain management , psych, PT, meditation, yoga, conciling and your standard Drs for the issue you come for.  While one of the goals was to lower the dosage of meds by teaching new techniques, taking someone off all opioids was not part of it.  
    In my history with these ( have not been just given the brochure and information) the one you are speaking of sounds more like something for people that are "addicted" ( not saying that's the case here) unless they are getting you off opioids to establish a baseline.  The one at the teaching hospital was to lower opioids as the tools learned offered relief, test your boundaries .
    These are offered at most teaching hospitals in some form, this particular one was 3weeks minimum.
    That being said if you want to test your boundaries, learn tools and have options if you can't get off all opioids so you don't suffer it seems like something beneficial.  Remember though you will be in a very controlled environment one that really isn't likely in the real world, unless you do not work, have kids, in relationship , have chores etc
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
    Also is there a pain management part of this?  As you said it's run by psych organization , but if psychological issues are secondary to chronic pain be careful because pain is the primary problem.  The one I speak of is headed up by pain management and it's only after seeing a pain management doctor can you be permitted in.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,193
    I started reading upon   Chronic Pain Programs  and after reading several documents and looking at web sites, I came to the conclusion that much of what is covered in a program like this is also the way Physiatrist (Rehabilitation Medicine) works.

Here is a sample for criteria for such a program

1. If a surgical procedure or acute medical treatment is indicated, it has been performed prior to entry into the pain program; and

2. Member has experienced chronic non-malignant pain (not cancer pain) for 6 months or more; and

3. Member has failed conventional methods of treatment; and

4. Member has undergone a mental health evaluation, and any primary psychiatric conditions have been treated, where indicated; and

5. Member's work or lifestyle has been significantly impaired due to chronic pain; and 

6. Referral for entry has been made by the primary care physician/attending physician; and

7. The cause of the member's pain is unknown or attributable to a physical cause, i.e., not purely psychogenic in origin.
    This is what I have worked with the past 10 years.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • MikethepikeMMikethepike MIchiganPosts: 620
    Sounds like something. I would be interested in.  But it also sounds like it would be tough.
      I would be very nervous about signing up. 
  • pa94381pa94381 New JerseyPosts: 2
    I would be very interested in hearing the results from one of these programs.
  • Thanks so much for your input.  As I have researched this thoroughly, I think I know which hospital you were considering.  The facility I am considering has a program that is mostly sequestered from the other addiction and psych programs, though I will need to sit through one open, hour long meeting a day.  The program is based on, what I think may be, the facility you looked at.  It is not mandatory to leave opiate free, though that is my hoped for goal as I do want to see if I have been experiencing any extra pain sensitivity due to the opioids.  Over 5 & 1/2 years of gradual increases due to tolerance has left me at a fairly high level of these medications.  I'm looking for an inpatient setting with other pain sufferers as I was very traumatized by an over zealous pain management Dr. who tried (with my initial agreement) to withdraw me 3 years ago.  I was scolded when I could not meet his goals and was in a constant state of anxiety while trying.  I am very scared and dubious after two failed surgeries and many other efforts.  I'm also tired of trying to "get better."  I will stay in touch with the board here and let everyone know what happens when I make my decision.
    I think many here would be interested in the outcome.  Also look into the testing for which opioids metabolize best, could it be possible your tolerance issues are because the ones the PM have you on are not best for your body?
    Increased sensitivity is certainly a risk, but it seems since it's not mandatory to be off them it might be a win/win for you
advertisement