Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

PMSing and old injuries

Hi! This is my first discussion on this website, so I hope I get a couple of answers hopefully. I'm a 19 year old woman and a year back I got a fractured vertebrae from getting hit by a car. I went throught the whole recovery process, except now when my period starts I get really bad back pains around the area and my lower back. I sleep with a heating pad on it to loosen everything up and that helps a lot. I don't want to take birth control at all, I am very regular in my cycle, start on the same day and end on the same day every month, so no to anything to change that. Any tips though on relieving the pain? Too much pain killers can kill your liver so I only try to take Motrin when it's really bad, especially because I was on a lot for the accident. Any home remedies besides yoga?
advertisement

Comments

• hello, cchristensen!

oh boy, can i ever relate to this!  every pain seems to ramp up when the monthly visitor comes around!  have you been checked for uterine fibroids?  i have a couple of them, and was told by the gynecologist that these can exacerbate back (and even leg) pain.  i talked to my doctor about it, and was told it was ok for me to take an extra muscle relaxer when the cramps become unbearable (days 2-3 are the worst!).  it makes more sense to me than taking extra pain pills, as it is the contractions of the uterus that are generating the pain--and the muscle relaxer eases those spasms.  if you're willing to give a muscle relaxer a try, ask your doctor/gynecologist if he/she feels this might be an appropriate treatment for you.   

i understand your reluctance about the pain medications.  there are plenty of us around here who yearn for a day when we can say goodbye to them!!

i'd like to welcome you to the forums!  please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

welcome to spine-health 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,433
    Speaking as a man who has no idea about the pain, discomfort and everything else associated with the 'visitor'.   But this topic has come up several times in the past couple of years.  Many women complain more about lower back pain during this time frame, more than at any other time.

I have no idea of any doctor or research has been done to confirm this as a medical reality.

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello...
    When I was younger (40's) and spinal issues first developed, I shared much of your experiences.
    My thinking was the extra bloating at that time, and I also have a tipped uterus, tipping and moving around whenever it felt like it.....and that didn't help matters.

I didn't take anything more than low amount aspirin occasionally and for me, hot baths and  heating pad brought much relief.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History