Due to insurance red tape my surgery was cancelled twice. But now my pain is so much better I', considering skiping the surgery altogether.
I have 4 Cervical herniated disks: C4, C5, C6, C7/T1. The C7/t1 is the worst. Two epidurals, neither worked.
I'm 61 year old female.
Protocol since July:
- Moved into a friend house so I have no housework
- Bone Broth
- Glucosamine chondroitin
- 5000mg MSM
- Golden Milk (Turmeric, Pepper almond milk)
- Wear a posture devise that buzzes when I have incorrect posture (hangs on back of my neck)
- Physical therapy
My pain has gone from a HORRIBLE 10 (could not stand it cried and stayed packed in ice) to a 0 with pain meds and about a 3 when meds wear off. So I believe I am healing.
I had numbness, tingling, weakness, in my right arm that is gone now.
The reason I don't want Multilevel ACDF Surgery
- Fusion failure of one or more levels in multilevel fusion surgery can occur in as high as 40 to 50 percent
- I might still be in pain after surgery- even more
- It may cause damage to disk above and below fusions
- Greater possibility of second surgery
- Dr said he might not be able to get to C7/t1 from front. 25% chance he has to close me up and try from my back.
- I have severe osteoporosis. I assume surgery problems will be worse since my bones are bad.
- The risk of adjacent segment disease is felt to be progressively higher with more and more levels stiffened by fusion.
- Scar tissue problems causing more problems.
- ROM. On the average they say you loose 10% per level.
- If I am wrong about any of these let me know!
I go for surgery consult tomorrow to schedule on Oct 28. I want to ask for a second MRI. My last one was in July. I want to see if there has been progress and hopefully see the rate I am making progress so I can figure out how long I need to rest. PROBLEM:
I'm resting now but when I go home to hubby and two teens (all spoiled rotten) I will be back in change of all housework and it drives me nuts to see things messy. I am afraid I will rei-injure myself the first day home. I can stay where I am for years but hubby wants me home to cook and clean ASAP.
When I asked the surgeon if it was possible to heal on their own he said if would have to be a major miracle because the damage was so severe. Well, I believe in miracles.QUESTIONS
- Anyone here who had Multilevel ACDF Surgery that did well?? or not??
- How long would it take to heal with this protocol? weeks? months? years?
- Is it hard to get a 2nd MRI? Can I insist? or will I make the guy cutting me upset?
- Can I wear one of those bone stimulators things before surgery to get better faster?
- Is there anything else I can do to speed healing.
- Will drinking bone broth 5 x a day be better than once a day?
Thanks so much.