Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cervical Osteocyte... bone spur?

I didn't really understand what the doctor was saying because i was so nervous and anxious at the time but i finally may have found an answer to my strange symptoms. An MRI has found calcification on my C2 disc which i guess is a bone spur/ spondylosis. I have to get a CT and x-ray before he determines if surgery is necessary. the thought of surgery is terrifying as i am only 20 (this was a result of a traumatic gymnastics injury several years ago combined with terrible chiropractic care.. anyone with a neck injur, never see a chiro). has anyone else experienced this? if so what type of surgery would occur, whats the recovery like etc?
advertisement

Comments

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 645
    Sorry to hear you're in pain....cervical pain is the worst I think, so close to the head, makes it all feel bad. Depending on where the bone spurs are facing, and maybe other factors I'm not aware of, would determine what treatment would need to be done.

I've had cervical bone spurs since I was in my thirties, am 57 now....but they haven't bothered me as much as the initial onset of pain back then. I was ducking my head under a clothesline, and a spur must have caught just right, and that was the beginning of months and months of agony. The next morning I thought I was just about paralyzed, could barely get out of bed.

I did go to a chiropractor, someone with success at going to him referred me, which looking back at it now, I'm very thankful all went well, though it took a long while like I said.

My bone spurs weren't facing the spinal column, so there wasn't a need for any surgery. I had another bad flare up years later, went to occupational therapy, and another chiropractor, and so far so good. I've had my neck cracked by a few chiropractors throughout the years, and thankfully haven't had any issues. 

Since my lumbar fusion I haven't had any chiropractic treatments; I think I'm done with doing that.

I still have to be careful with my neck; can't hold my head down too far, can't sleep on my stomach, or do any repetitive movement with my neck, like moving back and forth in an aerobic warmup because it causes too much bone grinding, which would cause a flare up with inflamation, and I avoid any type of neck pain.

Not sure if any of that helps....hope you find some safe relief.

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 866
    stsx0x - Please get as much information/understanding about your condition as possible.  I know the thought of high neck surgery is scary. I've been there with a high neck surgery.  I'd suggest that you take a family member or friend you can trust along to your surgeon office visits.  It is good to have a "second pair of ears" while discussing things with a surgeon.  Given that you had a neck trauma, the resulting calcification could be caused by many things.    
  • advertisement
  • Thank you I have been, what type of surgery would this even be? Despite some of these annoying symptoms I'm still very much able to do normal things including squatting and other lifting at the gym. Would it be strange to go from nothing right to surgery? I would think that the doctor would reccomend pain management first or so I'd hope ... The doctor is highly qualified and rated in my area but I really would like to avoid surgery if possible ... Which one did you have ? 

stsx0x - Getting good imaging/diagnostics and understanding the results is very important with neck trauma cases.  It could be one of many possibilities.  I'm assuming that the cause of your calcification is a result of your neck trauma. 

In my own case because of whiplash, I ended up with a ripped facet joint resulting in spurs growing into my spinal  cord.  I lived with a "broken neck" for 36 years because of multiple MRIs and CT scans did NOT show the problem.  It took a bone scan in my case to diagnose.  Once the surgeon was performing the fusion, then he found the bone spurs growing inside my vertebrae.

My point, if the diagnostics do not explain your pain/problems, do not take no for an answer.  With neck trauma cases there can be soft tissue issues that trigger build up of calcification.  

• thank you, i've had an MRi which showed this odonticyte thing (spelling it wrong). did you have an ACDF? if so how long was your recovery period? what level did you have
  • advertisement
    I'm sorry that I missed your last questions until tonight. Yes, I had an ACDF fusion at C3/C4. The surgery was 30 months ago and I never properly recovered, even though I am now fused at C3/C4. The neurosurgeon told me after surgery that he never saw a spinal cord as bruised as mine that had not been severed. Just recently I found out that I have severe Vitamin D deficiency. I have conflicting doctor opinions that the vitamin d deficiency could be the reason that I have not recovered from the bruised spinal cord. I've recently read several reports that correlate Vitamin D deficiency with bone spurs. If you have not had a recent Vitamin D test, I'd recommend requesting the test.
advertisement