Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Symptoms associated with Cervical disc herniation at C4-C5 and C5-C6 levels

sudhanssudhan IndiaPosts: 10
edited 10/17/2016 - 8:34 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, 
   I have already made a post about my previous medical history. Long story short, Had a TLIF surgery at L4-L5 three years back and now same surgeon suggests for a ACDF surgery at C4-C5 and
C5-C6 levels.

I was diagonised with Cervical disc herniation at C4-C6 levels two years, from then I have been on intermittent pain killer medication, physical therapy. But past two months the pain hasn't responded to any therapy or painkillers.As said earlier my surgeon suggests for a surgery.

But I am not intrested in another surgery not anytime soon. I am able to cope with the pain now a days but there are other symptoms which make me doubt my decision on surgery.

I would like to list my symptoms and I want to know whether these are due to disc herniation and whether I will be relieved, if opt for surgery.The symptoms are,

1.  Persitent tingling at  tip of the tongue.
2.  Involuntary movement of right hand and fingers.
3.  Hoarse voice ( this happened just a day back after I took pain killer).

Along with these other symptoms like pain in neck, pain radiating to shoulder blades and arms, dizziness, a feeling of instability in both the legs.

I dont know why these are happening all of a sudden and I cant come to a conclusion what is causing these. 
Kindly help me out!!!

P.S: Asked my surgeon about these symptoms and he said my herniated wont be cauing these symptoms.

Reagrds,
Sudhan
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Sudhan

I am not sure about the tongue, voice or dizziness, but maybe.  Certainly the other symptoms are constant with my symptoms as well as what I read from other members.  Are you saying that your surgeon says that none of your symptoms could be from your herniated discs?

Things like instability of the legs can be from myelopathy (a disk bulge pushing in on the spine) .

Just to be clear though, I am not a medical professional, nor are any members.  So it is impossible for us to say for sure what is causing the symptoms.  There could be something entirely different causing them.

When in doubt, get a second opinion.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Thanks for the reply, will consult my surgeon personally and keep you updated
  • advertisement
  • sudhanssudhan IndiaPosts: 10
    Hi, 
     The doctor was pretty sure thar sugery could relieve me.

But I went on to consult a Neurosurgeon for the tongue tingling thing, he asked me to do a MRI brain.

The results came yesterday came back, and somethings were stated in that couldnt understand. Went to the NS with the report he said everything was normal.

But it was stated in the report as
    Mild benign Intercranial hypertension.

My query is that whether a herniated disc cause this intercranial hypertension...?

P.S: The NS seems to be negligent though when I asked, while I insisted he asked me to take another two tests namely EMG and NCV.

Regards,
    Sudhan
  • Not sure about the inter cranial hypertension...

Everything else sounds familiar. The EMG/NCV can measure damage to the central nervous system, and check your legs. Get 2-3 opinions and you'll get a sense if all our in consensus for or agains surgery.

6 months ago I saw 4 surgeons. 2 said they can help with surgery, 2 said they recommend against surgery. All 4 said I can wait and that there is no immediate need for surgery, it's a matter if they can help relieve some pain.

I think leg numbness, weakness (or hand) is when you have to do surgery. If 2-3 opinions tell you you have to do it, then I'd probably do it.

I'm not the best advice though, at some point I'm tired and just want to trust that doctors know what they're doing. Which is not always the case...

Keep in touch, and hope you find your answers soon. Where are you?
    Iskra
  • Max_LeeMax_Lee New York, United StatesPosts: 388
    Sudhan,
    Intracranial hypertension is (according to the IHRF and Britain's NHS site) can cause the tongue tingling. It's sometime unclear what causes this condition. Good luck!
    (I am not a medical professional! Please continue to consult with your doctor!)
    Kieran 
     "The loneliest people are the kindest. The saddest people smile the
    brightest. The most damaged people are the wisest. All because they do
    not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do.''-Anonymous

My Story: https://www.spine-health.com/forum/discussion/90688/pain/neck-pain-cervical/help#latest

• advertisement
  • sudhanssudhan IndiaPosts: 10
    Thanks for replying 2 of 3 doctors suggest there is no need for surgery. The results of Nerve conduction test was normal. I had to visit a Neurologist, who has prescribed some painkillers and ultrasound physiotherapy. He asked me to come after two weeks for review.

P.S: The pain in neck and back of head has not yet reduced in addition to all these, the doctor said i might have starting symptoms of Glaucoma. Taking the medications as of now. Will keep u updated
  • MunkzillaMMunkzilla NYPosts: 208
    edited 11/16/2016 - 11:00 PM
    I had the tongue thing! I was sent for brain scans and testing nothing was found. After my ACDF my tongue stopped being numb. Nobody can explain it. I saw two neurologists and was even sent to the ER by my surgeon two weeks before my scheduled ACDF to make sure I had no brain bleeding, tumor or issues. I had contrast and no contrast MRI's done plus blood work and a head CT. 

All was clear. If you have clear images of your brain and crainial blood vessels do not fret too much. 
advertisement