Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back pain

So not new here, as I have had two neck surgeries ACDF.They were two yrs apart. Now I'm having back pain. Went an saw my orthopedic doctor he took an XRAY and said I have a slip disc, having an MRI next THURSDAY. He did however mention something about MAYBE having too put a rod in my back, at that point I  lost all hearing, bc I was scared something about it stabilizing my back bla..bla... ect..... I  will see him on November the 4th to go over my MRI results, I WILL LISTEN TOO HIM, this time completely.  The word ROD just scared the heck out of me. I do not want ANY BACK surgery.  I will be starting physical therapy next Thursday, hoping that that will help alleviate the pain a little. My question is has anybody had a rod put in their back and he said something around my L1 to L4? What type of surgery is that called if I were to have the rod put in?  I  will keep you informed on what he tells me. Sorry I have little information to go on but I honestly just block it out I think I'm just very scared, back surgeries don't always turn out very well from what I've heard and more times then most you end up hurting more as things go wrong or I don't know and I also have DDD! Any information about the road you can give me would be the most help thanks in advance Linda.

linda
advertisement

Comments

• I ment rod not road!
    linda
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Linda

It's quite common to use rods and screws as part of lumbar fusion surgery... it's been a common practice for many years.  There are various videos here on this site that can give you some further idea of what the surgery involves or just google lumbar fusion surgery.  The size of the rod is not so big... maybe a 1/4" in diameter or less.  I have 2 rods in my back along with 6 screws.    I'm guessing in your ACDF surgeries you had screws and metal plates... it's essentially the same thing but for your lower back.  

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • Yes I  have a plate and screws in my neck. Just seams more people with back surgery aren't very successful. It's more complicated longer time to heal. Seam like you had some trouble, not to mention the fact that you had a couple due to failure of broken screws, sorry to here that. Thanks for explaining this to me, I feel a little better.will keep in touch and let you know what happens.
    linda