Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Chiropractic adjustment from untrained friend leads to severe upper back/neck pain, headaches.

Hello everyone, my name is Morgan and I will be 21 years old in a few days. For the last 7 months I've been desperately searching for an answer for my incredibly painful upper back and neck pain. I feel as though I am at my wit's end and am going a little crazy. I read stories on here often and cannot imagine having to live with a pain like this for as long as a lot of people have on here, and to all of you people, God bless you. I have a newfound place in my heart for everyone living in chronic pain.  

I am a college baseball player at the University of Texas Permian basin. I was entering my sophomore year of the spring season in January of 2016. At this point in my life my body had never felt better, until I made the awful decision to let my roommate pop my back for me. He is twice my size and knows nothing about chiropractic, but I assured him I'd be fine. I just felt like I could use a good pop. I lied face down on the tile floor of my apartment, he stood above me and placed his hands along my spine in between my shoulder blades ( probably around the T4 T5 area). I took a deep breath in, slowly let it all out, and he pressed down with high velocity and high amplitude. I have had my back popped like this before, but this time, i heard and felt what was more a a series of "snaps" rather than just cracks. It was the most aggressive adjustment I had ever felt. And thinking back to the sound it made makes me feel like vomiting. However, at that moment I did not feel any pain. So I brushed it off as "I probably needed it" 

i sat down and continued to watch tv thinking nothing of it. And then, no more than 10 minutes later, I experienced one of the worst moments I've ever had in my life. My spine lit up in pain. All the way from the top of my neck down to the middle of my back. I stood up trying to find some position to relieve the pain, but there wasn't one. I started getting extremely weak and light-headed and thought for sure that I was going to faint. I tried to make it upstairs to my bedroom, I made it to the top of the stairs before collapsing on the floor in pain. I was on the verge of blacking out, laying on the floor, feeling as if my spine was made of jello and it wasn't able to hold my body together. I had my roommate call an Ambulance. I didn't know if I was having a stroke or a heart attack or what. When the ambulance arrived we were explaining to them what happened. They looked at us like we were crazy. I had started to settle down enough and didn't feel like passing out anymore (even though I was still in extreme pain) so the ambulance left and I made it into bed. The next morning we were getting on a bus for an 11 hour roadtrip to play in Kansas. It was the worst bus ride of my life by far. I decided to tough it out and play the first game with about 10 ibuprofen in my system. That game was the last game I've played since. As my team played the second game of the day I went to the bus to lay down, feeling like I was going to faint again. When I returned home, my parents began looking into doctors to take a look at my back. My dad coaches a son of a orthopedic surgeon who has been following my case for the past 7 months. He's a great guy who I know is giving me great care and attention. We took x-rays, MRI's, and Ct-scans of thoracic and cervical spine over a 2 or 3 month period all looking totally normal. During this time, I could barely make it out of bed, when I did make it out of bed, I just wanted to be back in bed. I felt this overwhelming pressure in my head constantly. Before all of this I was very into meditation and clarity of thought. After that night of back popping, I felt like I had "lost" my mind. Everything felt hazy, dizzy, almost not even real. Like a dream of sorts. I felt like I was having trouble communicating with people. I had always been very witty and funny, but it's like that part of me vanished. Needless to say, it was very horrifying. I had never heard of anyone experiencing anything like this. I found this website along with hundreds of other stories and research and had read about people with similar symptoms. It was all scary and didn't want to believe that it was happening to me, but sadly enough, it is. I went though 5 or 6 months without anyone being able to tell me that anything was wrong with my back at all. I moved back home with my parents and dropped out of college. We travled to different doctors all over Texas looking for an answer, and still nothing. Now about 3 weeks ago we were referred to a pain management Doctor here in midland. He ordered a bone scan of my sternum. ( I forgot to mention that a few weeks after my back had been popped, I noticed a protrusion of what seems to be a bone at my sternum. The doctors can't seem to tell if it's a rib head or the sternum itself, or if it had been there before or after the injury) ( I think it appeared after the injury). So I go in for my bone scan (expecting it to show nothing as all the other test have shown), and after the procedure, the radiologist says," I'm not supposed to do this, but I'm gonna show you something" he turns the computer screen towards me and says," you see this lit up spot on your sternum?" From what you've told me and my experience, I'd say you have a broken sternum." 

At that point, i almost came to tears of happiness as I thought finally someone has found something responsible for my debilitating pain. It made so much sense. I called my parents to tell the the great news that I had a broken sternum! Lol but the radiologist said that the head radiologist still needs to confirm it and what not. So last week we go back to the pain management Doctor to hear what the plan is for treating a broken sternum that for some reason hasn't healed yet. ( the orthopedic surgeon that has been helping us went back to an MRI to look at the same spot that lit up on the bone scan and he said he thought he could finally see a non Union fracture of the sternum. But wasn't sure) so the pain management Doctor comes in and tells us that the bone scan indicates inflammation around that area,but no fracture. And I felt like my stomach was gonna hit the floor. Tears poured out of my eyes as I imagined living any longer like this. He gave me a cortisone shot into that spot on my sternum and sent me on my way. It's been a week since I've had the shot and I feel no different at all. I am still in unbelievable pain and losing hope. I've been taking cymbalta for 2 months now and I guess it makes my mood better than it might be otherwise. They give me vimovo for pain which does nothing, weekly shots of toradol which doesn't help either. I'm also in physical therapy which is very painful, though it does feel decent when I'm in the middle of a workout. One of the worst things about this pain is the constant cracking, grinding, and snapping which happens all up and down my spine from my mid back to my back and popping in my shoulders. Doctors say it's not an issue but the cracking actually hurts and I think it causes my headaches. Cracking of thoracic spine happens almost every time I pinch my shoulder blades together and cracking at cervical spine happens when my head relaxes onto a pillow and things like that.

sorry this story is so scatter-brained and what not, I hope whoever reads this can put together all of the information. But I am in need of help. Not only do I feel like my college life is being wasted away, I feel like I am tearing down my parents lives too. Seeing my mom deal with this makes my heart hurt. I feel like this is all my fault, and I feel depressed and I don't want my mom to see me like this because I know she is depressed and it'll only make it worse, but it's becoming physically impossible to put on a happy face for anybody these days. I don't want to live my life like this. If anyone has anything they can tell me, I would be very greatful. Thank you all. 

advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello morgan102195 !

Please use search, upper right on page, and type in Welcome to Spine-health.
    It will be first on list of results, Welcome to Spine-health, how to get started!

You will find much helpful information!
    Many of us seasoned members continue to refer to it time to time!

Thank you!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello ...
    So sorry for all you're going through.
    The trials and try again of trying to find the source of pain and then trial and try again for effective pain relief can be quite trying.

While I would try to control my pain, before my pain became managed by my going to Pain Management doctor...I became quite depressed.
    It is not uncommon for depression to accompany chronic pain. But we shouldn't just accept it as normal.

Please let your doctor know all your symptoms and that includes how you are feeling and thinking.
    There are some meds to help with the pain that also help with depression.

If you used the search, upper right on page, you will be able to find current or older discussions re the difficulties of the pain effects on relationships.
    It very difficult on both sides...living the pain and watching your loved one suffer so.

You are very young to be going through all this. Not sure if it helps, but you are not alone. And there are many young members on this site also.

There is a post...Too Young For What?....that may be of interest to you..addressing unique concerns for younger members with spinal issues.

I will be interested in following your discussion. Please keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
This discussion has been closed.