Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Herniation between fusion

ProteeninjectorProteeninjector Posts: 8
edited 10/18/2016 - 12:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have looked everywhere and couldn't find a topic on this. I found tons of adjacent herniations discussions but none about people who have a herniated disc between the fused vertebrae. 

I had fusion done at the l5 s1 level about a year ago. About 4-6 months later, I started getting horrible back pains again with intermittent shooting leg pain. It got so bad I couldn't take it and went to get an MRI after an urgent care visit. 
The MRI shows I have a herniation at the l5 s1 level, the very same one that was fused.
My question is, has anybody had this happen to them? What can be done to fix this?

It seems like it is a one in a million chance that the disc bulges in between a set and stable fusion! I really need some guidance because I can't find any info on this. Thanks in advance!
Ouchy!
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Ouchy

How can that be...???   If you had fusion surgery at the L5-S1 level your surgeon should have completely removed your disc at that level...  as such there shouldn't be anything left there to herniate.  Sounds very strange..

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • No they don't take the disc out. That's exactly what I said to my pcp and he laughed and said they only remove enough to slide the spacer in. So the disc has bulged out the back (fusion was done through stomach).  
    Ouchy!
  • advertisement

Ouchy

That's really strange...  It was my understanding that in order to get bone on bone fusion to take that ALL of the disc material had to be removed... otherwise the fusion wouldn't take.  Hmmmm...   

• You know what hvills, I completely agree with you. I also think it's insane that this can/has happened. Especially since the surgeon said you could "take a chainsaw to it and it wouldn't move... Three months post op and its fusing wonderfully!" So how the hell did whatever piece of disk that is there even bulge out the back??!! I'm so distraught over this and in complete and utter pain and nobody seems to have any answers. I can't find a single other person that this has happened to.
    Ouchy!

Ouchy

I think you should seek a second opinion... something sounds fishy with this one.

• advertisement
  • if i can post the images on here i will when i get home. this is the surgery i had, so the disc is bulging out the back.
    https://www.spine-health.com/video/alif-anterior-lumbar-interbody-fusion-video
    Ouchy!
advertisement