Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sneezing

Hi all, 

Have had to L5/S1 disectomys this year and unfortunately had no relief what's so ever.

I'm now five weeks post op from my second operation and still experiencing alot of pain and discomfort and when I sneeze it goes through the roof. .

Any else experienced similar 
advertisement

Comments

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 646
    Hi Trix...I know what you mean about the sneezing; it can be torturous on the spine. 

I know you can't always have enough forewarning when a sneeze arrives, but when I do I try to stabilize, or get in a protective position before it hits...like if I'm walking, I try to press my back up against something (wall, tree, door). If I'm laying down, I make sure I'm laying flat on my back. When I'm sitting I usually have my back flush against the back of seat.

Hoping your sneezing becomes more gentle with your back.
  • Hello Trix

Ime with Sheri...
    Even without surgery, Ssneezing is a big pain! Literally...when i can, i try to minimise the hit
    But
    Well, when it does,pop out my friends sympathise.

Mainly its my T spine that feels like slamming together on those Gale force sneezes that kil me
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• advertisement
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    When you feel a sneeze coming on, pinch high on your nose, like glasses would sit if you wore them. Works for me.
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 646
    I've always read it's not good to stop a sneeze....can cause more sinus issues. You'd have to weigh the odds with that one.
  • Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    I've read that too. Not sure if its an old wives tale or true. I only do it if absolutely necessary. Otherwise, I let 'er rip!
  • advertisement
  • trixttrix LiverpoolPosts: 35
    I've always had quite a strong sneeze if that makes sense and where I tense up the pain in my back is unbearable. I will attempt the kerb against the wall technique and see if that helps
advertisement