Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

SuccessFull Fusion with backed out screw?

redmangorredmango philadelphiaPosts: 11

I had a spinal fusion 25 years ago to fix scoliosis. I am fused T9-L3 I believe. I don't have many back issues aside from the occasional back pain here and there specially during weather changes.

I have live a normal life but have always been afraid of my back and thus have limited my activities. Well as I get older I notice that i need to be more active in order to stay in somewhat of decent shape. So I went to see a spinal surgeon to make sure everything was ok with my back and to guide me on what activities I should stay away from.

I was told my back looks fine with no major issue and not real limits...the doctor said the only think is that one of my screw seem to have backed up a bit early on. Early on because there is a lot of bone growth in the area now. But I was told there is nothing to be concerned with and that I will not need further surgery.

My question is - is that normal to have a solid fusion with a screw that seems to have backed out a bit? Should I be concern or once a solid fusion is achieved I am ok?

advertisement

Comments

• nutcase007nnutcase007 United StatesPosts: 920
    redmango - If the fusion is solid and that the "partially backed out screw" is not causing you any problems, given that there is bone growth over it, sounds like your doctor is giving you good advise.  I have heard of cases like your case and they didn't have any problems.  Usually the backed out screws are found because of non-fused joints.  The hardware is only needed until the joint is fused. 

Like the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
  • redmangorredmango philadelphiaPosts: 11
    I went to see her to get clearance for doing martial arts....she allowed it and said I should not have many activity restrictions...I guess I should not be concern. She told me flat out that I will not be needing any more surgery.... just weird that this is the first time I hear of it. She alluded that this happened early on but this is the first time I hear of it...but I was a kid at the time and the other doctors that have looked at my back since have not been spine surgeons (more like pain control type).

I guess I don't really know what normal back pain is vs a pain or issue that this screw can cause. I know plenty of non fused people that have back pains all the time...I get minor aches and pain in my back weekly but very rare is it a real issue...maybe a hand full of time over the last 25 years. Mostly just the I have been sitting all day or I slept wrong type of pain....but I guess there is no away of knowing.

Luckily I have access to X-rays from last year and a few years ago so I will have then review them and see if there is evidence of the screw backing out back then. I think that would give me a peace of mind.

• advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello redmango!

Please use search, upper right on page, and type in Welcome to Spine-health.
    It will be first on list of results, Welcome to Spine-health, how to get started!

You will find much helpful information!
    Many of us seasoned members continue to refer to it time to time!

Thank you!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History