Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Corset for herniated disc

I've been pondering over this one for a bit and having trouble finding info online that looks legitimate. But after opinions on whether anybody thinks a corset (obviously not fully tightened for waist training, but firm) would protect the back with a herniated disc or disc issues?

Unfortunately I've just had a discectomy on my l4/l5 and I'm currently in a brace whenever I get out of bed for support.  Obviously once I'm a bit further down my recovery road building core strength is my main priority and a corset would hinder that, but would it be an awful idea for during work hours  (desk job. I am diligent with posture but I'm only human and I get tired or bend stupidly sometimes).

I just want to protect my back. I'm 27, and horrified I've had to go through this at a young age.  But I'm also a corset fan so kind of wondering if 2 birds 1 stone or just an awful idea altogether. Haha.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587
    If I think something within reason will help or ease my pain I will consider it.
    For the last year I have been wearing a corset every day to help keep me straight. It's very comfortable and I noticed a big difference when I take it off.
    My PM doctor had me fitted in a very expensive brace due to scoliosis and other back issues. It was so uncomfortable and rubbed my hip bones raw, mostly because I'm so skinny.
    So I went back to the corset, he said do whatever works best for you.
    But I would still discuss this with your doctor first.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • KimbraKimbra AustraliaPosts: 58
    That's good to hear and I'm glad it works for you!! 

I would definitely consult with doctor first and get one made for me so it fits properly as I'm tall and have a long torso. 

Do you have issues with core strength because of it? Or is your Dr just worried about keeping you straight?
  • advertisement
  • I wore...
    A Man Corset!!!

Just kidding, i bought a heavy duty brace like you see the loaders at any big box store wear and during the day it helped greatly!

Eventually moved up to a really nice one with velcro adjustments..i miss that one and cant remember where i got it.

I think they work 
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,587
    Kimbra, my doctor is more worried about keeping me comfortable and mobile. And it straightens me enough so it's a little easier to walk.
    William, my hubby wears one every day. He's on his feet and sometimes with heavy lifting. Wears it even at home when he's on the tractor or cutting wood. His has the Velcro adjustments and removable suspenders, got it (don't think I can tell you the name of the shopping site can I?) at the most popular online shopping site. Lol.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Hi, I have an L4 disc bulge that is touch I g the nerves and causing sciatic pain. My back looks very out of line at the moment.
    My physiotherapist recommended a corset to wear for periods of time. I bought off the well known shopping site n, it's made from wetsuit material and is fastened with strong Velcro. It was reduced to £7.99. I am finding it really helpful in keeping me straight and keeping the pressure off my lower back.
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.