Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Canadian artificial disc replacement?

I have been recommended an artificial disc replacement at L5-S1 by surgeon's in Germany, but it comes with a price tag I can't afford. Here in Canada, I've only been recommended a minimally invasive discectomy or a majorly invasive fusion. I really believe in the disc replacement as the best option, but I just haven't heard of who does them and where, so how can I even get a recommendation for it?! Looking for Canadians who have had the ADR done in Canada and can share their experiences. I understand we cannot name doctors or facilities here, so just information that doesn't violate the terms, please :)
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello...
    Sometimes calling the hospitals in location you want to have your surgery..could be a way to,receive references.
    Also, finding teaching hospitals in those ares could be helpful.
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Did you have any luck in Canada? I'm looking too....

• advertisement
  • Did you check France for options? Probably cheaper than Germany.

• Hi, not sure if you are still wondering about ADR surgery in Canada....but I did have adr surgery for L5/S1 ,here in Canada back in 2012.

Some of my old post talk about my surgery....back then I was ouch2 ;)

Formally ouch 2 :)
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I'm in Montreal, Quebec and had C6-C7 ACDF surgery in November 2018. ADR is done in Canada but not every surgeon does them and the surgeons that do require special approval by the Government. My surgeons said there still isnt enough study results on longterm benefits therefore they go with the go to fusion surgeries.

• advertisement
  • ADR is very common in Europe and in parts of the US. I had one a little over a year ago and it was wildly successful. 

• I had mine done in Montreal ....sadly it was not wildly successful.

Formally ouch 2 :)
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Ouch3 who was your surgron in Montreal tgat performed your ADR?

advertisement