Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Chronic Pain Not Relieved with Surgery

seabreezesseabreeze Lakeland, FloridaPosts: 1
My low back and lower extremity pain and lower extremity nerve sensations has increased after by third lumbar surgery . First surgery (1982) was a laminectomy of L4/5-5/S1; the 2nd (2004) surgery was a disectomy at L-4/5, 5/S1 with some cleaning a L-3/4; the 3rd surgery, which occurred July 2016, a laminectomy of L3/4 and cleaning of the stenosis at 4/5 and 5/S1. The L-3/4 nerve root was compressed with mild bilateral neural foramal narrowing. I also had multilevel degenerative disc disease with disc bulging with spinal stenosis at L3/4 thru 5/S1. I had been experiencing severe lower extremity pain and nerve sensations, for a 1 1/2 years before the surgery, with increased walking. The pain has increased and nerve sensations have increased post op. I am experiencing severe pain with walking in my lower back with radiation through the buttocks down my right leg into my feet. I periodically have some pain on the left side. The nerve sensations go down my right leg into both feet. There is often a tight band sensation wrapping around my left ankle and sometimes my right, at a lesser degree. The pain is relieved with sitting in my recliner. I am currently in therapy and also exercising in the pool. I also am icing my lower back. I have been told that the pain may continue for up to a year due to the lengthy compression of the cord. I am wondering if a more realistic evaluation is that I will have this pain forever and need to learn to live with it.
advertisement

Comments

• kowserkkowser Low Angeles Posts: 35
    I have the same symptoms after my surgery. My dr remove some scar tissue that I think helped. What also helped me is a positive attitude about the pain. Easier said than done. The less I stress about it the better weeks I have. I'm 7 months out and hope this isn't the end result but can feel slight changes each day due to my mood and activity.
    I also bought a book that links pain with the mind and body by John sarno 
    wish u the best
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello seabreeze!
    Please use search, upper right on page, and type in Welcome to Spine-health.
    It will be first on list of results, Welcome to Spine-health, how to get started!

You will find much helpful information!
    Many of us seasoned members continue to refer to it time to time!

Thank you!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement