Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

November 2 2016 Surgery

I am 66 yr old woman having 8-12 hr surgery to correct severe scoliosis. I am aware that this is going to be quite the challenge but right now I cannot stand or walk for longer than 5-10 minutes so quality of life is diminished. I'm able to work as receptionist so I have my awesome health insurance. My husband is self employed so he will be able to juggle his schedule to be with me as I need him. We are traveling 5 hrs to the "big city" with the fancy hospital and best doctors and I am thrilled with my surgeon. Is there anyone else out there looking for a November Surgery Buddy?
advertisement

Comments

• hey chonna, I am having surgery the same day as you 2 Nov, mine is VERY MUCH less than yours only 2-4 hours and is only a fusion of C3-C4 where yours is your whole back... My surgery is 2 hours away from my home so I too have a little bit of traveling. I have pretty awesome insurance as well, Retired Military so me and my family are in the US family Health Care Plan... My surgery is coming after about 9 years of battling neck problems, worse right now is the no sleeping, I get about 2-3 hours a night and most of that is very broken sleep. How about you are you able to get ample rest? I can walk or stand longer but I do understand about the quality of life being diminished. I go through my days right now in some what a "cloudy" state I call it because of the lack of sleep. My wife is a teacher and thankfully she has built up days that she can take to be with me for surgery day and to bring me back home. I hope this will let me get the rest that I am so needing, we just adopted 3 kids one of which is a 4 yr old and I need to be there for them. I have already added you to my prayer list because I couldn't even imagine going through the amount of surgery that you are, but then I know that the Lord will never put on us more than we can handle which means you must be one STRONG person!!!!! Hope you have a good weekend...

Bill
  • chonnacchonna JoplinPosts: 28
    Hi Bill We have much in common, I don't believe in coincidence so it must divine intervention. It may take me a few days to get back to the laptop, but I Pray our surgeries go very well, And we can chat and exchange success stories. I will be in hospital 5-7 days, then a week or two in rehab at same hospital. THEN the dreaded 5 hour drive home. I hope I'm over the nausea from all the anesthesia and the weather is dry. Once home I will be good!! Hospital bed in living room Lift Recliner in family room near the fireplace and kitchen Grandchildren to pop in on me I'm ready to do this. I've been warned it will be very difficult, but I want my life back.
  • advertisement
  • Hey chonna, I Pray that God's peace and love be upon you and that he fills you with his strength, I will be in the hospital hopefully only one night as per standard procedure for this hospital, but then I will be back home. I have my lift chair right outside my bedroom which has an adjustable sleep number, so I should be pretty set. Have our 3 new children that will take care of me once they are home from school and also my Mom will be staying with us for the first week or so to try and keep me stationary as much as possible. Did things too quickly after my Achilles surgeries(stubborn military man) so my wife called in the big guns(Mom) to keep me down. I will be praying and watching for the good word from you when you can...
    Bill
  • MagistraMarlaMMagistraMarla San Antonio, TexasPosts: 217
    Hi Chonna,
    I'm having my surgery on Oct. 25, but I'm popping in here to say hello. I grew up near St. Louis, so since you're in Joplin, I'm guessing that you're headed for St. Louis for surgery. There are some great hospitals there, including my alma mater, St. Louis University.
    We're in San Antonio, and my first spine surgery failed. I'll also be making a long trip, since we found an expert in the Dallas area, six hours away. He's an expert at scoliosis as well as revision surgery, which is what I need.
    It's good to take your time about driving home. I'm also hoping to stay in the rehab center rather than in the motel with my husband. We plan to make lots of stops for me to walk around.
    I do hope that you have dry weather! Highway 70 can get treacherous in the winter.
    Good luck, and be careful!
  • dalewarren123ddalewarren123 Michigan, USAPosts: 104
    Hi Chonna and Burgekids. I'm a 65 year old female and awaiting decompressive laminectomy and fusion of L1-S-1. I was scheduled for Monday the 24 but the office called and canceled my surgery. They said the Dr had an emergency and could not operate on Monday. They will call me Wednesday to reschedule. WOW, I'm kinda on an emotional roller coaster. So my guess is I will be a November Buddie.
  • advertisement
  • Hey dalewarren, that would be so terrible to be this close and then have the Surgeon's office cancel... Hang in there I'm sure they will work to get you rescheduled ASAP I hope and pray for you... This is probably a surgery that is ahead for me at some point, I have spondylolysis of L5 and that L5-S1 disk has been herniated for quite some time and hurts terribly but not equal to the neck problems yet... Let us know as soon as you get new surgery date...
    Oh WOW Dalewarren We are on this roller coaster even when it all goes as planned, but, to be rescheduled!!! AARRGGHHHH But it must mean you are meant to go thru this with burgekids and me. That's a really good place to be, Prayers will abound, we'll be reminding each other of His unfailing, unfaltering love for each of us. Keep posting Keep updating.
    Yes Marla!! St Louis Top Hospital Top Neurosurgeon. I have nothing to fear. But the recovery makes me nervous. It will be a challenge and I don't want to make life any more difficult for my family than it has to be. I will be so helpless for months, I hope I don't get cranky,
    Chonna, I think that is a fear we all have, other then the surgical pain the next thing is being so helpless and not doing anything but walking for months.
    Chonna and Burgekids. It sounds like you are both Christians as I am also. Trusting my Lord to get me through this is so important. Yes He must have a reason for the delay and maybe I will learn what it is. Maybe it will be getting to know you two and praying for each other.
advertisement