Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Spinal Cord Stimulator Migration

I have had a lumbar SCS for years and love it.   After an accident two years ago plus chronic migraines the suggested an occipital/paraspinal SCS as well.  

I had this implanted 3/1/16, it is 4 wires that go from my waist to back of head behind my ears and mid neck.   By early June all of the wires had migrated and not by just a little, top two nearly 6" and the bottom two about 3".    Top ones were curled in a ball and a mess, the bottom were headed toward the incisions, the only reason they didn't continue was because of the anchors.  The dr said I would have needed a huge trauma to do this, which nothing had happened.  So 9/7/16 I had a 100% revision and everything put back into place.  During surgery the dr apparently hit the battery pack with a Bovi and shorted the unit out.  There was enough power remaining to test the unit before closing so they never knew, but by the next day is was dead and would not take a charge.  10/4/16 they replaced the dead battery as well as updating my old lumbar battery, I love the new technology for that.  

It it seems as though my leads are slowly backing their way out AGAIN despite remaining 100% restricted in movement.   I have had the new battery 2 weeks (and new leads 6 weeks) and can feel a significant difference in where the leads are covering. One of my leads is 1/2 dead as well, it has notable impedences making several contacts inoperable. 

I asked the neurosurgeon PA if it was possible that my body was just rejecting these percutaneous leads and he said that was a possibility.  However, the dr said it is just not something that happens.   I am very thin and don't have a lot of tissue to keep things in place. Occipital placements are anchored mid neck and threaded up towards the ears, they should be able to stay in place because of placement. 

This is ridiculous, 4 surgeries in 11 months, I can't do this again.   My PCP wanted me to see a new pain management dr so I requested a discharge from my dr of 12 years, now the new dr (or any other office) won't take me because I am to complex.   So now I have no PM, no working system and getting ready to be scheduled for yet another major surgery.   Just wondering if anyone here has experience/knowledge of occipital migration or actual rejection of percutaneous leads? 
advertisement