Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Replacing Old Rods.

I have read some of the past forums but I am hoping for some newer information relative to my particular situation. I am 25 years old. I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 10 and had rods put in when I was 13. I stay active and try to keep my core strong. I have done physical therapy programs. This year has been particularly rough. I can't ride my bike, or exercise without excessive pain. I can't sleep for more than 3 hours because my back hurts to bad from laying down and I can't sit in a chair or stand for more than an hour. I have lost two inches in height this year. Part of the rod has shifted and is causing pain from my head through my neck down through my right arm. I also have pain in my lower back and my ribs. I also have Stage 2 hypertension with no known cause since I was 12 and there is a theory the two might be related. I saw a neurosurgeon last summer and he told me there isn't much that can be done at my age. Even though my xrays show a definite change. I'm getting a second opinion next month. My question is if it possible to remove my rods and redo the surgery to fix the new curves from growth spurts and better strengthen my spine. What are some pros and cons.  I'm not saying my Dr.is wrong and I am not looking for a diagnosis I am just looking for advice from people that are knowledgeable in this field or know of a similar situation or experience. 


Sign In or Register to comment.