Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Barometric pressure and nerve pain

Hello all,
I am getting close to 6 months post op from a microdisctomy L5/S1. My question is with the changing weather...does your nerve pain go a little..berserk? Sometimes it's bad enough I'm scared I reherniated but it always seems to calm back down once the weather levels out. Anyone have similair experiences?
Belinda 
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi Belinda
    I had a microdiscectomy 4 months ago. The weather on the east cost has started to turn and I was wondering if I would feel any different. So far no but I  have the whole winter to go yet.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,395
    Hi Belinda,

Over the years, I have had 6 Spinal surgeries, My shoulders and hips totally replaced, an Achilles tendon reconstructive surgery and in 2016, I had a laminectomy L1-L5

This year's surgery which had the most nerve problems and damage is taking the longest to recovery from.
    Today, outside of Danbury , CT, we are getting an inch or two of snow. That has sent my leg muscles into a frenzy. Plus, while my hip replacements do fine, my shoulder replacements, its feels like the titanium implants want to break lose from my bones and jump out.

So, its really not that unusual for people to have more problems due to changes of seasons and barometric changes.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Sorry you are both suffering, Belinda and Ron.

I have suffered a lot with the nerve side of things since my first surgery and have found that if I keep myself warm, I suffer less. Yes sad to say, at times I get out my thermals, from my florist shop freezing days, and get them on under my clothes .. even in summer at times when the wind changes direction! I sometimes have a constant shiver but I get it more when I sit down so I think it is nerve related, even though it seems temperature related. I feel as if my body temperature gauge needs a major service :D

Take care in that snow Ron, unless you are on the sledge!! :)
    AJ
    AJGormit
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 945
    edited 11/02/2016 - 2:45 AM
    Belinda

My doctor is very insistant that it is crucial to always keep your body warm to avoid unwanted nerve or joint pain due to the seasonal changes in weather. I'm not sure how it works or why... I guess it has something to do with better blood flow... but it definitely seems to help with my joint and nerve pain to put the old long johns on with the first signs of fall/winter. Not to mention that it keeps my nagging loving wife off my back about "staying warm".
    Harry - 64 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Thanks for the input, is there anything you do to kind of...prepare for or get through it med wise?
  • advertisement
  • Lol. Well I deliver mail... in Iowa...so avoiding the cold is hard 
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 945
    Belinda

No meds... just layers and layers of warm clothes. Maybe you try to get an electric heating pad that can plug into your your mail van that you can sit on. I use an electric heating pad at home in my recliner during the winter evenings... it's keeps my bum and whole body nice and warm.
    Harry - 64 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Hi Belinda. Ironically I Google searched barometric pressure and nerve pain and came across your post. I am just over 1 year post open from L5S1 fusion with posterior instrumentation. We have had rain the past 3 days and had been experiencing pain but pushed through it. Today's pain is unusually high and am laying on a ice pack from bed while writing this, unable to go into work. I had severe neuroforaminal stenosis prior to surgery that was incapacitating. While I am a heck of alot better off than a year ago, the sciatica nerve flares up so bad my foot and ankle swell. Lyrica helps and have tried to reduce my Norco down voluntarily because of fears from stories of addiction. I have found that ice helps immensely for inflammation, you do not want to use heat for nerve pain as it is an irritant. It is very frustrating because I've gotten comments from employees saying that they don't know why I'm not okay by now. It's as if the nerve has a mind of its own because there are good days too. I avoid sitting at all costs since that seems to irritate the nerve ALOT so I stand all day at work. That can become tiring after a 10 hour day, then sitting in traffic for over 30 min  can make the nerve so irritatable I am hobbling when I get out of my car. I do my therapy exercises and stretches religiously. My therapist said I need to listen to my body more and not push through when pain gets past a certain level. That's hard when you work and try to provide for family. Heat would work well for arthritis but if you have nerve pain try ice. Colpac cold therapy ice packs are the best, those are malable and soft enough to lay on comfortably. Wish you all the best in your recovery!
advertisement