Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

For My Mother

Hello everyone, because my mom isn't very computer savvy, I decided to sign up here to gather information for her. She had the herniated disc affect her L5-S1. She has been to numerous doctors and gone through tests and shots, physical therapy and drugs. She said the sciatic nerve pain isn't as bad on her legs but she's now suffering with this intense burning pain in her groin and the bottoms of her feet. She can't take the medications out there because she hates the side effects. I hate seeing her in this pain and am here to see if I can get some answers for her. She has an appointment with an orthopedic doctor soon to talk about options but she doesn't know where else to turn and is feeling very depressed and hopeless. It's been about 4 months and after reading other stories here, I see many have suffered way longer than that and that scares me. Any help is welcome, thank you for your time.
advertisement

Comments

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi sparrow
    I'm sorry to hear about your mom's issues. I  had severe sciatica caused by a large herniation at L5S1. I couldn't sit ,  drive or work. I  ended up having a microdiscectomy this past June. It was same-day, outpatient surgery. I  went to the hospital at 10 am and was home by 10 pm. So far it has been a success. All of the sciatic pain is gone. No one wants to have surgery but on the flip side, the longer your nerves are impinged, the longer they take to heal. If all conservative treatments fail, she may want to consider surgery.
    Ellen 
  • Thank you for your response , Ellen! I appreciate the information. I hope your recovery continues to go well. My mom goes to see the surgeon next week so hopefully she gets some much needed answers! Thanks again. :)
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Sparrow38 !

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello...
    For me, my lowere spine issues can cause variety of pain...sometimes it's the more typical sciatica, sometimes pain only in my outer calf...or only thigh area......
    I, too, have severe groin pain and burning and also the bottom of my feet burning pain.

The epidural she for my lower spinal issues have been very effective. Pain may not be completely removed, but the edge is taken off the pain...and that is huge success for me!

Please let doctor know about feelings of depression and hopelessness, also.
    Depression often accompanies chronic pain, but should not be accepted as normal.
    Sometimes medications used to treat pain can also help with depression symptoms.

I referred myself to psychiatrist for help with my depression. Best thing I did for myself!
    I did some talk therapy and I found a therapist specializing in depression with chronic pain.
    She was most helpful and help most quickly! Using her suggested techniques, I have felt better than I have in my whole life!

Please keep us posted with how mom is doing!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,047
    Sparrow, how is your mom? Knew she was going to see the surgeon last week and wanted to check on her.
    Hope it was good news and she's finding relief. Please let us know when you have time.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
  • Thank you for your follow up! She went to the surgeon and got all the answers she needed and decided to book the surgery! I'm actually writing this from the hospital!  Today is surgery day and we are all anxious but so happy she'll hopefully have some relief from this. Any after surgery tips are welcome.  I did see the list of things to get from another forum which was very helpful! Fingers crossed.. will update later! 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,047
    Wow!! That's great. Hope your mom is doing well after surgery.
    Thanks for letting us know.
    Keep us posted.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Sparrow38

I hope that you mother is doing better today. Both of you keep in mind that there will still be some time, maybe months, of healing going forward. So have her take it easy.

Good luck to your mother.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Surgery went well and she came home that night. Today she's in a ton of pain and the pain meds aren't working for her. She said she just wants to sleep/rest but can't because of the pain. Any suggestions?
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Sparrow38

Don't hesitate to call the surgeon's office. Be her advocate and do what she would do if it was you in that much pain. Push for answers...

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

advertisement