Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Is there anything I could have dont to prevent scoliosis?

If I knew earlier that I had scoliosis is there something I could have done to stop progression?
And how can it be that we're in 2016 and scientists still don't know what causes scoliosis? Didn't they find any similar habits that patients with scoliosis have..?
And is there any way to undo scoliosis without surgery?
advertisement

Comments

• WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,439
    From my reading there are lots of things that can cause scoliosis. In children a fracture that heals with an uneven vertebra surface, vertebral wedging, abnormal bone growth...mostly controlled by genetics....in my case its my discs degenerating on one side faster than the other so my bones tipped and fell over....some infections can cause scoliosis too-mostly in warmer climes like africa etc.  I think the thing is scoliosis is what happens because of something else....in cases like mine theres nothing to prevent it-i have bad inflammatory arthritis and until that can be stopped my spine will continue to twist and rotate and collapse...sigh.  i think the bottom line is that we are the sum of our genetics and our lifelong events and while we can control doing silly things (like fracturing ourselves) we cannot necessarily combat genetics....

Bracing a youngster at the beginning can help if the spine is still growing-to make sure it grows straight(er).  But with something like mine-degenerative scoliosis-theres not much to prevent the actual scoliosis-my muscles have nothing solid to pull on anymore so muscle strengthening while good wont make me straighter...
    And my surgeon assured me its not because i slouched lol. 

I sometimes have dreams about living in a star trek era-wave the tricorder thingy and make it all better...till then i do my physio and await surgery....

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• vergil900vergil900 Posts: 11
    edited 10/31/2016 - 4:22 PM
    I cant believe this genetic [edit]. there must be a viable cause like bad posture or weird sitting habits. Its like saying your teeth are damaged because genetics

Comment edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator To remove inappropriate language

• advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,069
    A lot of it is genetic, but certainly not posture. I have scoliosis from my neck to lower lumbar. It hit 2 yrs ago, very progressive. I was 66. I was taught as a child to sit and stand straight, learned how to walk in heels with a book on my head lol. Posture was everything. But they call mine idiopathic, that's the name they gave it because they don't know what caused it.
    I agree with you WLLady. Also in my case, all the deterioration has caused everything to start collapsing. It makes common sense to me. So why is it so hard for them to figure this out.
    I've tried wearing a custom fitted brace but I'm too bony. So I wear a tight waist cincher and or girdle. It helps a little.
    No one in my family, going way back, has had spinal conditions except me. So I don't believe in my case it's genetic.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Does this count as bad posture though?
    I get told scoliosis is partly my fault because i used to always sit like this on the desk while using the PC.

• Like this.
  • advertisement
    the way i see it, something caused mine-the degeneration of my discs and erosions of my facets....i have some sort of inflammatory arthritis....it ate my spine...so is that genetic? i'm the only person in my family with this problem BUT genetic changes happen all through one's life....so would i maybe pass this on to my kids if i had any? maybe.....i don't know....but i know i didn't cause this through anything i did, i didn't do anything different from many of my friends or the rest of my family, but i got this....if it was something we did, we all would have it, because we all did the same stuff growing up! we all fell out of the odd tree, fell off our bikes, ran around playing outside like crazy etc etc. and i'm 100% sure we all slouched, we all leaned back with our feet on the desk! LOL. i do think there are some things that happen..and we won't know why. maybe we had an injury we didn't let heal? i don't know. but i know i didn't cause mine to happen in any way that i could possibly figure out and change.....
    and i'm sure lots of people are like that. they have no idea. but there is a large body of published scientific papers that describe mutations in genes in families where scoliosis is passed from parent to children to grandchildren....
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• But I didnt get my scoliosis as a child. Or did I?
    Im 19 now and I have an S-curve top is 20° bottom is 15°. Does that mean I had scoliosis in childhood already?

By the way I wish I listened to my parents and sat more upright. There was a time in school when I had bad grades and would sit crooked.
    Im talking about more than 6 hours everyday...
    And you're telling me this doesn't cause scoliosis? Or does it...
    If it's not my fault that I have scoliosis, then who's is it?
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,069
    Your scoliosis is not "anyone's" fault. Have you taken the time to research it and read articles?
    I did because I have it.
    Doctors do not know what causes most common types. Although it appears to involve hereditary factors because this disorder tends to run in families.
    It does not result from carrying heavy items, sports or poor posture. 80% of cases, the cause is unknown.
    This little information came from web sites on scoliosis. There is so much more out there.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my  Medical History
    edited 11/09/2016 - 2:03 PM
    Exactly-it is not anyones fault. I seriously doubt sitting crooked has anything to do with it. But your curves are not horrendous-not when you consider people like me are walking around with curves in excess of 65 or 70 degrees...do you have a doctor looking after you? There are treatments available. You are young still-and much more flexible than someone like me!!!  If you take a proactive approach now you may not ever need major surgery or you can delay it as long as possible and protect your back and keep it more healthy longer by modifying your activities....Theres physiotherapy to keep key muscles strong...theres hardware and surgery that can help, theres watchful waiting...your doctor can advise you. Do you have a doctor that you can talk to about your options?
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator

• vergil900vergil900 Posts: 11
    edited 11/09/2016 - 2:35 PM
    If the docs don't know what causes scoliosis, how can they know about treatment plans and what helps to slower progression? xD
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.