Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

NEEDED: Pillow recommendations post-LUMBAR FUSION (3 levels)

Hello everyone!

I am scheduled for L3 to S1 ALIF with posterior screws & rods on 11/23/16. I am preparing now, but I cannot figure out what kind of pillows will work best for recovery. An adjustable bed would be ideal, but that's not an option for me.

What worked for you? Wedges for your back and head? Wedges under your knees? Full-length body pillows? Hourglass thigh pillow? What shape and what type of fill do you recommend?

Did you find that some pillows did NOT work for you? Please share that information, as well.

I sleep on my back AND on my side, so I need a combination of pillows that will work for both.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
advertisement

Comments

• Hello MissLady!

Welcome to Spine Health
    Heres to the very best of outcomes and results from your upcoming surgery!!

Please click the welcome message below for more information about Spine Health and its resources.

William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• NotMeNNotMe Denmark, EuropePosts: 73
    Hi MissLady
    It's a good question. Have you seen the list with what to prepare? You can find it under back and neck surgery.

I read the comments under it and noticed that people liked very different ways to sleep. I had a PLIF L5-S1 three weeks ago. I don't have an adjustable bed, but haven't missed it as I prefere to lie on a flat bed and sitting hurts. I like the same pillows now as before the operation. I've got two different pillows to change between for my head (a normal and a cervical foam pillow) and a pillow for between my knees. My best advice is to have enough pillows so you can have some in the living room and some in your bed, without having to bring them with you every time you change places.
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    MissLady

I sleep on my side and I used a wedge for my back during the first month or two post opp... it was great especially in the early stages post op. I have an adjustable bed but I didn't use if after either surgery... lying flat is much preferred.
    Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • MissLadyMMissLady Los Angeles, CAPosts: 5
    Hi NotMe and hvills

I did read the list of items to prep for surgery. That list is AMAZING!! So helpful.

There's not a lot of info regarding specific pillow shapes or fills, etc. so I decided to seek specific input. Thanks for showing your preferences with me!!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,279
    Here is something you should read Wellness Center - Matresses and Pillows
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
advertisement