Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Humira used for AS. Expectations?

Hi all. I hope your November is starting off with less pain. Unfortunately the colder months in the Midwest are a challenge for most of us with arthritis issues. Quickly, I am a 50 yr old female DXed with Ankylosing Spondylitis five years ago. I've used NSAID for most of that time since my DX. Seven months ago I started taking hydrocodone (5s, now 10s). My rheumy put me on Humira, 40 mg injection pen every two weeks, last month. I've only had one injection. The second I am due to take this Thursday. My question(s) is/are...what should I expect? How long does it take to work? What's been your experience as far as side effects? Any tricks to taking it? Etc? So far I feel no differently. Maybe slightly (I mean I'm being very generous, like in my head) better. I was hoping to reduce my enthesitis by 50% or more. Is that expecting too much? Please give me your thoughts, opinions and experience if you've used Humira and for what disease. I am SO happy to be apart of this community. I've felt welcomed and helped tremendously by many so far. Ok? So let me have it!

Melissa-
advertisement

Comments

• If anyone is interested, the Humira injections are not helping me. I began them mid/late October. My rheumy has encouraged me to continue them until after the first of the year. That will be 3 months. My CRP number was 1.3 a week ago. It was 1.2 when I walked into his office 5 years ago, then 1.5 and 1.8. The target is under .5. I am disappointed. I thought (wishful thinking) maybe the Humira was working slightly. Unless it kicks in very quickly in the next two injections, I will stop it completely. It is such a pain to get your hopes up and then nothing change. Any help is appreciated...Humira?, Enbrel? Remicade?  Please comment and let me know what your experience has been.
  • I'm sorry to hear the Humira didn't help you. Did you end up trying something else? 

My new rheum. has me on a short 6 day trial of prednisone to see if it helps quiet the pain down. He's not 100% sure If I have AS or psoriatic arthritis in my spine. I'm HLA B27 positive and I've always leaned towards the AS diagnosis through the years. He's talking about a biologic, but the thought of the side effects terrify me and I don't want to take them unless they make me feel 100% better. 

Did you ever try a course of prednisone, Melissa? If so did it help you significantly? Wish I could be more help to you with your questions. This site doesn't seem terribly active. I had hoped for more interaction.

Thanks!
    Laura
  • advertisement